Lane sharing, two questions

1. I started doing flip turns about a year ago, and I'm comfortable doing them when I am working out alone. But when circle swimming with my masters team, it's hard to get comfortable doing flip turns coming in at an angle to the wall. Any suggestions on how to approach these kinds of flip turns? 2. I am also pretty new to butterfly. I am concerned about crashing my hand into someone swimming back toward me on the opposite side of the lane. I will sometimes try to extend my outside hand out slightly over the lane marker to stay as far to the right as possible, but I often brush the lane marker with the top of my hand as my arm is coming up out of the water. Any suggestions on navigation?
Parents
  • Hey revchris! Be sure the swimmers in your lane are waiting 5 seconds in between each swimmer. If your lane is lined up correctly according to speed and everyone gives the 5 second interval your flip turns will be very comfortable. It totally freaks me out when someone takes off on my feet and ends up in between my legs when I flip. I once received a bloody nose and fat lip in a crowded pool due to lack of proper spacing. If I get in a lane that refuses to do this I just go last and give the next-to-last swimmer 15 or 20 seconds so I don't catch them. Seriously, if everyone leaves @ 5 seconds it's easy to keep your times and there's room for everyone. A crowded lane doesn't mean everyone needs to swim nose-to-tail and leave at the same time. As long as you know your personal take-off interval you can space up and do the workout.
  • Hey revchris! Be sure the swimmers in your lane are waiting 5 seconds in between each swimmer. If your lane is lined up correctly according to speed and everyone gives the 5 second interval your flip turns will be very comfortable. It totally freaks me out when someone takes off on my feet and ends up in between my legs when I flip. I once received a bloody nose and fat lip in a crowded pool due to lack of proper spacing. If I get in a lane that refuses to do this I just go last and give the next-to-last swimmer 15 or 20 seconds so I don't catch them. Seriously, if everyone leaves @ 5 seconds it's easy to keep your times and there's room for everyone. A crowded lane doesn't mean everyone needs to swim nose-to-tail and leave at the same time. As long as you know your personal take-off interval you can space up and do the workout.
Children
No Data