Swimming with abdominal hernia

Anyone with knowledge about swimming with abdominal hernia? I'm new and my coach encourages me and I love to swim.
  • Are you talking about swimming post-hernia repair? Or, swimming while you've still got it? I still have the abdominal hernia left over from a surgery. It's the size of a cantaloupe. The surgeries are risky for me. The doctor said to "live with it." I haven't dove off a platform. I'm worried that the hernia will get worse. I was hoping U.S. Masters would allow a full suit that would protect the area, but it's my understanding they don't. Anyone know what workouts I can and cannot do with a hernia? I really feel the need for speed.
  • The danger with a hernia is incarceration (bowel becomes entrapped in wall, twisted and causes obstruction). I suppose swimming is no different than anything else as far as risk. Anything that causes increased abdominal wall pressure (flip turn, start) may cause it to worsen. The act of swimming itself should not make it worse. I would say weights are a bad idea. Simply being a little constipated and trying to go to the bathroom can make it worse. Bottom line: do what you do and you will know if you have a problem (hard area, not reducible, vomiting). Good luck.
  • Anyone with knowledge about swimming with abdominal hernia? I'm new and my coach encourages me and I love to swim.Are you talking about swimming post-hernia repair? Or, swimming while you've still got it?