Snorkel use

Our coach doesn't give specific times or workouts to use the snorkel. I love mine but I'm not sure when it's the best time to use it? I have been using it at the end in the pull sets but can it be effectively used in main cardio focused sets?
Parents
  • Several people in this thread have commented to the effect that snorkels are good for aerobic work or breath control, or to be used when you do not want to go fast. I disagree with these notions. Once you become acclimated to using the snorkel then it doesn't impact access to oxygen at all, even if you use a restrictor (which basically just strengthens the muscles associated with inhalation). And the only place I find that a snorkel affects my swimming speed is off the walls on sprints, since I don't feel I can quite cut loose fully for fear of the thing being ripped away. Many people -- even bilateral breathers -- will favor one side when push comes to shove. Others have mentioned this, but I think snorkels help balance the stroke because you don't favor either side. And yes I also think they are good to work on early vertical forearm, particularly when paired with the appropriate paddles (nowadays you'll have to pry Finis agility paddles from my cold, dead fingers). Like Paul, I also favor snorkels when doing power work with things like parachutes or other in-water resistance devices.
  • Several people in this thread have commented to the effect that snorkels are good for aerobic work or breath control, or to be used when you do not want to go fast. I disagree with these notions. Once you become acclimated to using the snorkel then it doesn't impact access to oxygen at all, even if you use a restrictor (which basically just strengthens the muscles associated with inhalation). And the only place I find that a snorkel affects my swimming speed is off the walls on sprints, since I don't feel I can quite cut loose fully for fear of the thing being ripped away. Many people -- even bilateral breathers -- will favor one side when push comes to shove. Others have mentioned this, but I think snorkels help balance the stroke because you don't favor either side. And yes I also think they are good to work on early vertical forearm, particularly when paired with the appropriate paddles (nowadays you'll have to pry Finis agility paddles from my cold, dead fingers). Like Paul, I also favor snorkels when doing power work with things like parachutes or other in-water resistance devices.
Children
No Data