Hmmm...

...What's wrong with this picture? :lmao: 9972 Note the sign behind the starting block. This is at the Beaufort, South Carolina pool where I am currently visiting. I also got a chuckle out of this: 9973 Ya gotta love that pooch's dorsal fin and goggles! :D
  • Well I see your point...the starting blocks in the shallow "no diving" end. But I think that 5.5 feet is plenty deep enough for diving starts of races. Does the pool have a 'deep' end? It seems like they'd have put the blocks there. Dan
  • Well I see your point...the starting blocks in the shallow "no diving" end. But I think that 5.5 feet is plenty deep enough for diving starts of races. Does the pool have a 'deep' end? It seems like they'd have put the blocks there. Dan That is the deep end! :D Now, in all fairness to the staff at the pool, I did ask about the sign. The only "diving" allowed is by trained competitive swimmers when a coach is present on deck. They just don't allow diving by recreational swimmers who don't have a clue...
  • 3.5 feet, anyway. Almost every day for the better part of 10 years. Never saw anyone get hurt. But I guess it only takes once. And I have a feeling there were lots of bad accidents caused by people diving into shallow water.
  • I always laugh a little when I see these signs. Who else remembers going off blocks in the 3 feet of water in most H S pools?
  • I always laugh a little when I see these signs. Who else remembers going off blocks in the 3 feet of water in most H S pools? 3.5 feet, anyway. Almost every day for the better part of 10 years. Never saw anyone get hurt. But I guess it only takes once.
  • 3.5 feet, anyway. Almost every day for the better part of 10 years. Never saw anyone get hurt. But I guess it only takes once. Smacked my face off of the bottom a couple of times...but that's how I learned to not go too deep. :doh:
  • We have one of those at out pool
  • I remember an age group meet around 10-15 years ago where the start end was *maybe* 3 feet deep. I had to do flutter kick off the start and turns in order not to kick the bottom of the pool, since my dolphin kick is bigger than my flutter. Seriously sketchy pool.
  • And I have a feeling there were lots of bad accidents caused by people diving into shallow water. The pool where I grew up was 3' 8" with no deep end. We had a separate diving well. In all my years swimming there and lifeguarding there, we never had a serious accident. A few morons sprained ankles jumping in feet first while I was working, though. My start is pretty bad now, and I blame this pool. I can't learn to 'thread the needle'. And sometimes by habit I start kicking in the air.
  • I remember blocks at the shallow end 3.5 ft deep in 1970's HS and college. Only saw one swimmer get hurt - nasty scrap on forehead. Much safer now. Glad they moved them. YMCA pool where I swim sometimes has 6.5 ft deep end and no diving allowed.