Great to be back in pool...but cramps.

Hello, everyone. I just got back in the pool after three decades away and hope to compete in a few meets in the next calendar year. I love being back at it and can already feel and see my body adjusting in the first couple of weeks. However, doing actual workouts which include kicking drills has caused my legs - mainly in the calves - to cramp up when I get to about 3/4 of the way through the workout and attempt to dolphin kick or streamline kick in a drill. Is this due to lack of strength, stretching or salt? Or is it just going to take some time before my body adjusts to this new type of movement? Any advice or insight is appreciated!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    After reading the NY Times article that I posted above, I read the comments section. Someone mentioned neuroscientist Rod MacKinnon, who is also an endurance athlete. He started researching cramps after experiencing them himself. He has developed a product that will be released in 2016 that is designed to prevent muscle cramps in athletes. He has a web site that explains more, and if you scroll all the way down, you can enter your email address and download a short paper: http://itsthenerve.com/ From www.aan.com/.../1341 "...The treatment is based on research showing that cramps are caused by excessive firing of neurons in the spinal cord that control muscle contraction. The treatment is designed to stop the firing of the neurons by stimulating the transient receptor potential (TRP) ion channels... When participants received the treatment, which was taken by mouth, their cramps were three times less intense than when they received the placebo. The treatment took effect within minutes and lasted up to six to eight hours. 'These results support our belief that this treatment has significant potential as a solution for people suffering from muscle cramping and possibly spasms from a broad range of neuromuscular disorders, nighttime leg cramps, multiple sclerosis, spinal spasticity and cervical dystonia. Cramps can impact even the world’s fittest athletes at critical times,' said MacKinnon. The study was supported by Flex Pharma. To learn more, please visit www.aan.com."
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    After reading the NY Times article that I posted above, I read the comments section. Someone mentioned neuroscientist Rod MacKinnon, who is also an endurance athlete. He started researching cramps after experiencing them himself. He has developed a product that will be released in 2016 that is designed to prevent muscle cramps in athletes. He has a web site that explains more, and if you scroll all the way down, you can enter your email address and download a short paper: http://itsthenerve.com/ From www.aan.com/.../1341 "...The treatment is based on research showing that cramps are caused by excessive firing of neurons in the spinal cord that control muscle contraction. The treatment is designed to stop the firing of the neurons by stimulating the transient receptor potential (TRP) ion channels... When participants received the treatment, which was taken by mouth, their cramps were three times less intense than when they received the placebo. The treatment took effect within minutes and lasted up to six to eight hours. 'These results support our belief that this treatment has significant potential as a solution for people suffering from muscle cramping and possibly spasms from a broad range of neuromuscular disorders, nighttime leg cramps, multiple sclerosis, spinal spasticity and cervical dystonia. Cramps can impact even the world’s fittest athletes at critical times,' said MacKinnon. The study was supported by Flex Pharma. To learn more, please visit www.aan.com."
Children
No Data