Butterfly -- main forces lead the head out of water?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys I'm new to this forum. My friend, a good swimmer, told me the pushing force from the hands are the major force which lead the head out of water. I'm not sure if he's correct as he doesn't specialize in butterfly. To me 1. the deeper my head dips (just after recovery, when both hands stretch far in front), the easier my head gets out of water 2. when I catch the water, a small force is provided by the hands as well. This small force helps my head get out of water 3. the pushing of the hands, however, should be used mainly for propelling I breath every two strokes, which means during my second stroke, my head remains in the water. So I guess the the pushing hands should not contribute to any force regarding leading the head up. I would appreciate if anyone could help me know if these are correct. Thank you in advance.
Parents
  • ...The point at which your arms are anchored with an EVF, is when you should be breathing, and should be retracting back into the water as you recover (proof: try swinging your arms with your head up, and again with your head down...one is a lot easier than the other). ... The head should be driving forward, not upward (upward drive of the upper half of the body = downward drive of the lower half = unnecessary resistance/drag). ... your goal is maximizing the use of your body for forward momentum and minimizing the up and down. I'm all in with Mr Pope here.. In both Fly and *** we try to teach our kids to keep the back of the head in line with the spine and breath at a 45 degree angle to the water as opposed to pulling the head up at all. The front portion (catch) of the pull lifts the upper body, and getting your breath at this time (in the pocket) allows the head to lower with the body line for the recovery.
  • ...The point at which your arms are anchored with an EVF, is when you should be breathing, and should be retracting back into the water as you recover (proof: try swinging your arms with your head up, and again with your head down...one is a lot easier than the other). ... The head should be driving forward, not upward (upward drive of the upper half of the body = downward drive of the lower half = unnecessary resistance/drag). ... your goal is maximizing the use of your body for forward momentum and minimizing the up and down. I'm all in with Mr Pope here.. In both Fly and *** we try to teach our kids to keep the back of the head in line with the spine and breath at a 45 degree angle to the water as opposed to pulling the head up at all. The front portion (catch) of the pull lifts the upper body, and getting your breath at this time (in the pocket) allows the head to lower with the body line for the recovery.
Children
No Data