Butterfly -- main forces lead the head out of water?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys I'm new to this forum. My friend, a good swimmer, told me the pushing force from the hands are the major force which lead the head out of water. I'm not sure if he's correct as he doesn't specialize in butterfly. To me 1. the deeper my head dips (just after recovery, when both hands stretch far in front), the easier my head gets out of water 2. when I catch the water, a small force is provided by the hands as well. This small force helps my head get out of water 3. the pushing of the hands, however, should be used mainly for propelling I breath every two strokes, which means during my second stroke, my head remains in the water. So I guess the the pushing hands should not contribute to any force regarding leading the head up. I would appreciate if anyone could help me know if these are correct. Thank you in advance.
Parents
  • May I ask if the 'catch water' or 'pushing' give more forces to raise the head up? if it's the 'catch water' part is it like as in the case of breaststroke? I don't want to hijack a fly thread for BR,but I don't understand the BR reference. In BR you should raise to breathe by the force of your insweep and simultaneously lifting your torso from the waist. Is the insweep your "catch water"?
  • May I ask if the 'catch water' or 'pushing' give more forces to raise the head up? if it's the 'catch water' part is it like as in the case of breaststroke? I don't want to hijack a fly thread for BR,but I don't understand the BR reference. In BR you should raise to breathe by the force of your insweep and simultaneously lifting your torso from the waist. Is the insweep your "catch water"?
Children
No Data