Shoulder Surgery advice

I am scheduled to have Shoulder Surgery (Arthroscopic) in November to remove a bone spur. Thankfully it is only a bone spur and I do not have any rotator cuff damage. Does anyone have any thoughts on pre-surgery rehab? A lane mate of mine suggested it and said it made a huge difference in his post surgery rehab from shoulder reconstruction surgery a few years ago. Also, if you had the surgery- how long were you out of the water? Thanks.
Parents
  • a lot depends on the shape you are in now, what you can do before, if that really is the only thing done in the surgery, and post-op. its not just 1,2,3 done. and we are all different. i also had shoulder impingement and had the end of my acromion cut off. ie removal of a bone spur that does not hurt. what hurts is the hole they punch through your rotator cuff (usually super spinatus) the 2 holes that are punched through your deltiod. sure its only 1 or 2 stiches to close (about the size of a pencil), but its all meat. rent or buy the polar pack ice unit that circulates ice cold water around your shoulder that the docs put on post-op. plan on using 15-20lbs of ice a day for several days to keep it "comfortably numb". i went through 90lbs of ice. yes the imobolizer sling n tummy pad is no fun. prepare to sleep in a reclining chair for the 1st week. the more you work rehab the faster you are back. you can make usms spring nats! steve
  • a lot depends on the shape you are in now, what you can do before, if that really is the only thing done in the surgery, and post-op. its not just 1,2,3 done. and we are all different. i also had shoulder impingement and had the end of my acromion cut off. ie removal of a bone spur that does not hurt. what hurts is the hole they punch through your rotator cuff (usually super spinatus) the 2 holes that are punched through your deltiod. sure its only 1 or 2 stiches to close (about the size of a pencil), but its all meat. rent or buy the polar pack ice unit that circulates ice cold water around your shoulder that the docs put on post-op. plan on using 15-20lbs of ice a day for several days to keep it "comfortably numb". i went through 90lbs of ice. yes the imobolizer sling n tummy pad is no fun. prepare to sleep in a reclining chair for the 1st week. the more you work rehab the faster you are back. you can make usms spring nats! steve
Children
No Data