starting to swim...

Former Member
Former Member
quick intro/disclaimer... I'm a member of a few forums, motorcycles and cars and a couple others. I am not sure if this will sound like when a guy comes to one of those and says something like, 'Should I wear a helmet?' or something like that. Regardless, I am here because I want to start swimming for exercise, and I want some advice, basically, on where to start, what to wear maybe, stuff like that. That sounds dumb even to me, but I don't know what else to say. I go to a gym and I've been running on a treadmill (I lift weights mostly, but run a little most days for 'cardio' or whatever you want to call it) for a while. I like running, but I always walk past the pool and I'm jealous of the people splashing around in the water. Today, I thought, 'Dude... why don't I swim? It is not hard on my knees, it is better for my whole body than running, I love water... it'd be awesome!'. So I've been thinking about how to change my routine, all day basically. Tomorrow I am not lifting weights, so I might go to the gym pool for a swim, if I can decide what my routine might be. Like I said, I like water. I'm a fine swimmer, for an average human man, 34 years old, 6' 4", 195 lbs, decent shape. But I've never been taught how to swim by anybody, never done it except for fun in a lake/pool/ocean. So, I think I need some goggles - what brand should I get? Should I spend lots of money to get nice ones? I don't want to wear 'trunks', but I'm not really excited about Speedo briefs either... so are there skin-tight swimming shorts that are cool? If I just swim laps doing freestyle for 20-30 minutes, is that a cool workout, mostly for cardiovascular exercise, but also to help my muscles? If there are stickys, or links to beginner sites, or anything else, I'd appreciate more info. Thanks if anybody will help point me in the right direction.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Do you breathe out your mouth or your nose under water? I feel like I'm getting better, I am learning one way or another how to go for longer periods without having to stop. Like, I'm not just sprinting as hard as I can until I can't breathe, then coming up for air and ***-stroking above water for awhile until I can go full-speed again, you know? Also, I've tried kicking with my whole leg, at the hip, and I recognize that I was kicking real quick with at the knee. It is easier, and better, kicking with my whole leg. I am not sure about it, but I feel like I sorta rotate my entire body that way, and the motion of my whole body is more in rhythm, and I float better and slip through the water better. I feel more like an aquatic creature, rather than a land animal splashing about in a foreign environment. Does that make sense? I am really glad I have goggles too. It makes it so much nicer. I am going to figure out going to a local club, there is one very near to me and I want to go and see what I can learn. I know I'll learn a lot, quickly. Thanks again for the responses.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Do you breathe out your mouth or your nose under water? I feel like I'm getting better, I am learning one way or another how to go for longer periods without having to stop. Like, I'm not just sprinting as hard as I can until I can't breathe, then coming up for air and ***-stroking above water for awhile until I can go full-speed again, you know? Also, I've tried kicking with my whole leg, at the hip, and I recognize that I was kicking real quick with at the knee. It is easier, and better, kicking with my whole leg. I am not sure about it, but I feel like I sorta rotate my entire body that way, and the motion of my whole body is more in rhythm, and I float better and slip through the water better. I feel more like an aquatic creature, rather than a land animal splashing about in a foreign environment. Does that make sense? I am really glad I have goggles too. It makes it so much nicer. I am going to figure out going to a local club, there is one very near to me and I want to go and see what I can learn. I know I'll learn a lot, quickly. Thanks again for the responses.
Children
No Data