starting to swim...

Former Member
Former Member
quick intro/disclaimer... I'm a member of a few forums, motorcycles and cars and a couple others. I am not sure if this will sound like when a guy comes to one of those and says something like, 'Should I wear a helmet?' or something like that. Regardless, I am here because I want to start swimming for exercise, and I want some advice, basically, on where to start, what to wear maybe, stuff like that. That sounds dumb even to me, but I don't know what else to say. I go to a gym and I've been running on a treadmill (I lift weights mostly, but run a little most days for 'cardio' or whatever you want to call it) for a while. I like running, but I always walk past the pool and I'm jealous of the people splashing around in the water. Today, I thought, 'Dude... why don't I swim? It is not hard on my knees, it is better for my whole body than running, I love water... it'd be awesome!'. So I've been thinking about how to change my routine, all day basically. Tomorrow I am not lifting weights, so I might go to the gym pool for a swim, if I can decide what my routine might be. Like I said, I like water. I'm a fine swimmer, for an average human man, 34 years old, 6' 4", 195 lbs, decent shape. But I've never been taught how to swim by anybody, never done it except for fun in a lake/pool/ocean. So, I think I need some goggles - what brand should I get? Should I spend lots of money to get nice ones? I don't want to wear 'trunks', but I'm not really excited about Speedo briefs either... so are there skin-tight swimming shorts that are cool? If I just swim laps doing freestyle for 20-30 minutes, is that a cool workout, mostly for cardiovascular exercise, but also to help my muscles? If there are stickys, or links to beginner sites, or anything else, I'd appreciate more info. Thanks if anybody will help point me in the right direction.
  • Swimsuits in Los Angeles, I recommend the Swim Guy: http://theswimguy.com/ good swimsuits at affordable prices. GoBears was correct you have many, many options in Los Angeles to swim on your own or to swim with a Masters Team. Then again it depends on where you live in L.A. County. If you want some options feel free to PM me.
  • Hi bzwyatt! If you don't like a small Speedo - there are jammers which fit kind of like boxer brief underwear that cover more of your leg. That's what I'd recommend. Any swim shop should have them. Get decent goggles -- from a swim shop. You may not have any idea what kind fit your face the best and may have to experiment. I wear Speedo Vanquishers but people tend to wear all kinds depending on what works for them. If you go to a swim shop the people working should be able to help you. You may find that, though you are a decent swimmer, swimming continuously for exercise is harder than you think. Maybe not. But I've had a few new people show up at my pool and be really surprised how much more difficult than they thought swimming for exercise would be. Hang in there. Get some instruction from a coach. You should have lots of options in L.A. Good luck!!! :)
  • One tip I would have is to prepare yourself for feeling exhausted pretty quickly. I started swimming a few years ago, and although I could play basketball full court for an hour and half, five minutes of very inefficient swimming left me totally winded. There are lots of good youtube videos out there, but there's no substitute for having someone watch you and give you suggestions. Many pools have kick boards and buoys lying around. You stick the buoy between your legs, bigger side down, and it will help keep you on top of the water, which is one of the challenges for a beginner. Most folks with little experience tend to drag their lower body through the pool rather than getting up on top of the water. Once you've done a little swimming, you could have someone video you and post a clip to this board for suggestions. Swimming's great! I've lost about 30 pounds since I got into it, and I've met some nice people swimming with a Masters group! Chris
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi, Equipment and what to wear shall not be any problem. Just visit any local shop to find a good fit for anything you need till you learn what exactly you need to order online for your next upgrade. I am also a newbie (late starter) in swimming and having now slightly more experience I'd say that you should better find some team to join or some mates to swim with. I still swim alone w/t a team (can't match timings yet) and I tell you that it is hard to swim on your own when there's no one who could cheer you up, give some hints and motivate to push further.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for responses. I've gone swimming a few times now, finally go some goggles last night, made it much nicer this morning. My eyes get dry easy already from working on a computer all day, opening them in the pool sucks. So yeah, swimming is tiring, haha. And yeah, kicking all the time is pretty tough, after a couple laps I usually have to really try hard to make myself keep kicking, not just pull with my arms. Hardest thing is breathing though. I can't get any rhythm, I try to breathe with my strokes but I suck at it and half the time I just hold my breath until I can't go anymore. There is a lot of technique to learn.
  • So yeah, swimming is tiring, haha. And yeah, kicking all the time is pretty tough, after a couple laps I usually have to really try hard to make myself keep kicking, not just pull with my arms. Hardest thing is breathing though. I can't get any rhythm, I try to breathe with my strokes but I suck at it and half the time I just hold my breath until I can't go anymore. There is a lot of technique to learn. Ideally, you shouldn't have to kick hard to keep your body position correct - it should be balancing from the core. Many new swimmers over kick (and kick from the knees instead of the hip). That uses a lot more oxygen and will make you tire faster. If you can work on balancing in the water that will help: www.youtube.com/watch You also want to learn to relax and breathe normally (like you would on land - not holding your breath). You can practice by staying near the wall and going underwater - letting yourself relax and sink as you exhale - then come up for a breath after you've fully exhaled. Repeat the process until you feel like you are breathing normally and in a rhythm. Once you learn how to balance your body and relax your breathing will get a little easier. Like you said - technique is key. Swimming with a coach is great because you have someone there to make more direct corrections and suggestions. Good luck!!!
  • Former Member
    Do you breathe out your mouth or your nose under water? I feel like I'm getting better, I am learning one way or another how to go for longer periods without having to stop. Like, I'm not just sprinting as hard as I can until I can't breathe, then coming up for air and ***-stroking above water for awhile until I can go full-speed again, you know? Also, I've tried kicking with my whole leg, at the hip, and I recognize that I was kicking real quick with at the knee. It is easier, and better, kicking with my whole leg. I am not sure about it, but I feel like I sorta rotate my entire body that way, and the motion of my whole body is more in rhythm, and I float better and slip through the water better. I feel more like an aquatic creature, rather than a land animal splashing about in a foreign environment. Does that make sense? I am really glad I have goggles too. It makes it so much nicer. I am going to figure out going to a local club, there is one very near to me and I want to go and see what I can learn. I know I'll learn a lot, quickly. Thanks again for the responses.
  • Former Member
    Some Masters teams have room for beginners. You can find some local Masters groups by using our Places to Swim tool: http://www.usms.org/placswim/ Enter your zip code and search. You'll see a Google map and then below it will be the listings for Masters groups, as well as some listings for pools that are open for lap swim. If you see a group that might fit your schedule, contact them, tell them you're a beginner, and find out whether they might have room for you. Anna Lea Matysek
  • I feel more like an aquatic creature, rather than a land animal splashing about in a foreign environment. Does that make sense? I love this :) Great comment that makes a lot of sense! To answer your question about breathing - you can breathe out both (mouth and nose) under water.