Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
Parents
  • I had a setback 10 days ago.Hate to hear that Elaine. Hope you are better soon and can make it to Auburn next Feb. If not, our team is looking at going to SCY nationals next spring. Maybe we will see you at both! As to the OP, lots of great advice on this and not much I can add. It can be done. Granted, I didn't learn to swim at age 40 but I did begin to learn to swim fast. The top 10 isn't the exclusive domain of individuals with college swimming experience. However, it isn't easy and requires a lot of work and dedication. I've had to find time for it but I enjoy it immensely. It really helps that I've got some great teammates that keep me motivated and push my abilities. They are awesome swimmers to model and great people to be around outside the pool. There's lots of USMS teams out there like that. Find one and enjoy the experience.
  • I had a setback 10 days ago.Hate to hear that Elaine. Hope you are better soon and can make it to Auburn next Feb. If not, our team is looking at going to SCY nationals next spring. Maybe we will see you at both! As to the OP, lots of great advice on this and not much I can add. It can be done. Granted, I didn't learn to swim at age 40 but I did begin to learn to swim fast. The top 10 isn't the exclusive domain of individuals with college swimming experience. However, it isn't easy and requires a lot of work and dedication. I've had to find time for it but I enjoy it immensely. It really helps that I've got some great teammates that keep me motivated and push my abilities. They are awesome swimmers to model and great people to be around outside the pool. There's lots of USMS teams out there like that. Find one and enjoy the experience.
Children
No Data