Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
Parents
  • Yes, this can be a problem for those swimmers who come into masters swimming at a late age without having been a swimmer when younger. To start in masters at around the age of 30 or 40 without a previous competitive background is probably desirable for health, sanity and to have an aim in life, but in reality the late starter is unlikely to pick up medals nationally. I don't think it is a problem. Good observation - Any suggestions for how an adult-onset swimmer might avoid or combat the mentality of using folks like these as competitive benchmarks? That's a damn fine question and not easy to answer. At some levels they can be inspirational. But, as you improve they can be motivational. And, getting in a heat with them can be fun. I hear a lot of Masters swimmers say, "I'll never be that fast." My answer is always, "Why not?"
  • Yes, this can be a problem for those swimmers who come into masters swimming at a late age without having been a swimmer when younger. To start in masters at around the age of 30 or 40 without a previous competitive background is probably desirable for health, sanity and to have an aim in life, but in reality the late starter is unlikely to pick up medals nationally. I don't think it is a problem. Good observation - Any suggestions for how an adult-onset swimmer might avoid or combat the mentality of using folks like these as competitive benchmarks? That's a damn fine question and not easy to answer. At some levels they can be inspirational. But, as you improve they can be motivational. And, getting in a heat with them can be fun. I hear a lot of Masters swimmers say, "I'll never be that fast." My answer is always, "Why not?"
Children
No Data