Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
Parents
  • YES!!!!! I believe people who train with a master's team and compete tend to stick with swimming longer, quite possibly for a lifetime. Most people I've talked to who have quit swimming complain that it is boring. I believe doing interval workouts with a group, setting goals by competing in meets and open water swims, and practicing all the strokes help to keep it interesting and exciting for a lifetime. Racing is a blast. Of course it's fun to beat people, but the best accomplishment is to improve your personal best times regardless of if you're first or last in the race. When you reach the age that renders you unlikely to get faster simply start setting age group or decade personal bests. I'm at that age now and I'm looking forward to some good swims. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!!
  • YES!!!!! I believe people who train with a master's team and compete tend to stick with swimming longer, quite possibly for a lifetime. Most people I've talked to who have quit swimming complain that it is boring. I believe doing interval workouts with a group, setting goals by competing in meets and open water swims, and practicing all the strokes help to keep it interesting and exciting for a lifetime. Racing is a blast. Of course it's fun to beat people, but the best accomplishment is to improve your personal best times regardless of if you're first or last in the race. When you reach the age that renders you unlikely to get faster simply start setting age group or decade personal bests. I'm at that age now and I'm looking forward to some good swims. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!!
Children
No Data