WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • I'm still confused. Why is growth the goal? I'm happy with my small team, and even happier when my open water swims have less than 25 people. :) This is exactly the mindset that needs to be overcome. Why are you confused? Is there a reason not to grow? Do you think that it is right not to share the health benefits of swimming with every other American? Have you even considered how selfish you statement was? If your club never grows and the OW competitions never have more than 25 people, how long do you think they will remain financially viable? In my LMSC, we had three swim meets canceled this year because of low registration and those already had more than 25 people signed up. USMS is an organization that constantly ages. We need to grow just to remain at a stable number. There are significant rewards possible in advertising and sponsorship once we have over 100,000. It may even be the critical mass at which we do not even have to advertise any more, because our best recruiting tools are programs and people who are already members. Your team may be able to remain small even if USMS grows. In order to flourish or even remain in business, USMS must always attempt to grow. If we do not, you can prepare to pay ever-growing membership dues to pay for the services and benefits that continue to grow every year, along with the overhead of our national office staff salaries and benefits. The more USMS grows, the less each of us has to pay for the privilege of membership.
  • I'm still confused. Why is growth the goal? I'm happy with my small team, and even happier when my open water swims have less than 25 people. :) This is exactly the mindset that needs to be overcome. Why are you confused? Is there a reason not to grow? Do you think that it is right not to share the health benefits of swimming with every other American? Have you even considered how selfish you statement was? If your club never grows and the OW competitions never have more than 25 people, how long do you think they will remain financially viable? In my LMSC, we had three swim meets canceled this year because of low registration and those already had more than 25 people signed up. USMS is an organization that constantly ages. We need to grow just to remain at a stable number. There are significant rewards possible in advertising and sponsorship once we have over 100,000. It may even be the critical mass at which we do not even have to advertise any more, because our best recruiting tools are programs and people who are already members. Your team may be able to remain small even if USMS grows. In order to flourish or even remain in business, USMS must always attempt to grow. If we do not, you can prepare to pay ever-growing membership dues to pay for the services and benefits that continue to grow every year, along with the overhead of our national office staff salaries and benefits. The more USMS grows, the less each of us has to pay for the privilege of membership.
Children
No Data