WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • There are certainly hardcore triathletes who like to RACE but more who participate simply for the right to put that sticker on their car. And I use the word "participate" deliberately because they are not "racing" at all, they simply want to fuel their water cooler talk. I think you're on to something with the "water cooler talk" comment. The Ironman brand has become so strong, it casts an aura of mystique over the entire sport. The general public esteems the completion of a triathlon, even a sprint, to be an exceptional athletic achievement. There's just not the same perception about pool swimming. That said, the popularity of triathlons has brought us members, even if they don't regularly compete with our organization. I assume my workout group is quite typical where about a third are there just for the fitness, a third are at least occasional meet swimmers, and a third are triathletes (or aspiring triathletes) who come to us for the quality swim coaching. USMS Open Water events seem to be the opportunity where both competitive segments can converge.
  • There are certainly hardcore triathletes who like to RACE but more who participate simply for the right to put that sticker on their car. And I use the word "participate" deliberately because they are not "racing" at all, they simply want to fuel their water cooler talk. I think you're on to something with the "water cooler talk" comment. The Ironman brand has become so strong, it casts an aura of mystique over the entire sport. The general public esteems the completion of a triathlon, even a sprint, to be an exceptional athletic achievement. There's just not the same perception about pool swimming. That said, the popularity of triathlons has brought us members, even if they don't regularly compete with our organization. I assume my workout group is quite typical where about a third are there just for the fitness, a third are at least occasional meet swimmers, and a third are triathletes (or aspiring triathletes) who come to us for the quality swim coaching. USMS Open Water events seem to be the opportunity where both competitive segments can converge.
Children
No Data