WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • Fitness and non competitive swimmers tend to be short term members. Not true on my team. A high proportion of our long-termers are people who seldom or never do organized OW swims or pool meets. Also, even those of us who compete a lot in some years go through periods when testing ourselves in the pool is not even on the radar, but we still keep coming to the pool and we don't let either our USMS or team memberships lapse.
  • Fitness and non competitive swimmers tend to be short term members. Not true on my team. A high proportion of our long-termers are people who seldom or never do organized OW swims or pool meets. Also, even those of us who compete a lot in some years go through periods when testing ourselves in the pool is not even on the radar, but we still keep coming to the pool and we don't let either our USMS or team memberships lapse.
Children
No Data