WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I didn't like the "we aren't competitive" aspect of the article either. One doesn't have to compete to be a Masters Swimmer, but you don't have to be ashamed of being competitive either. I just don't think there is anything wrong with being serious about testing yourself against others and being focused on a competition. So apparently you're not one of those athletes who have "crossed their final finish line."
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I didn't like the "we aren't competitive" aspect of the article either. One doesn't have to compete to be a Masters Swimmer, but you don't have to be ashamed of being competitive either. I just don't think there is anything wrong with being serious about testing yourself against others and being focused on a competition. So apparently you're not one of those athletes who have "crossed their final finish line."
Children
No Data