WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • When you see and talk with people who are triathletes, they identify with the RACE / the "big event" as a key factor in their training. A triathlete friend asked me this question in January one year: What are your big plans for the year? My response was: Not get fat or injured. I think it threw him a bit :bliss: I'm fine with the way USMS is setup right now. If I want to swim in a meet, there seem to be plenty of options, way too many for me to keep track. If I just want to go workout with a group, there's that option too. I've heard of some teams that require swimmers to swim in x number of meets/year. If that works for them, then fantastic. I much prefer a more laid-back atmosphere. In my opinion, the article seemed to convey that message well.
  • When you see and talk with people who are triathletes, they identify with the RACE / the "big event" as a key factor in their training. A triathlete friend asked me this question in January one year: What are your big plans for the year? My response was: Not get fat or injured. I think it threw him a bit :bliss: I'm fine with the way USMS is setup right now. If I want to swim in a meet, there seem to be plenty of options, way too many for me to keep track. If I just want to go workout with a group, there's that option too. I've heard of some teams that require swimmers to swim in x number of meets/year. If that works for them, then fantastic. I much prefer a more laid-back atmosphere. In my opinion, the article seemed to convey that message well.
Children
No Data