2016 Masters Summer Nationals

Hey guys, I've noticed for the past few weeks that most club championships are finishing the last week of July - the first couple of days in August. Because of this, all of the facilities close to me (YMCAs, Universities, etc.) are permanently switching their pools back to yards. Is there a way to try and have next year's Summer nationals a little earlier than this years? Even YMCA Summer nationals start on August third. As if a successful taper wasn't hard enough, I (and I'm sure others) am having a hard time tapering for a long course meet in a scy pool since I have trained most of the summer scy. Thoughts? Alex M.
  • I think the majority of us have to practice short course all year and aren't all that concerned that a few might have to cope with a change to short course on their taper.
  • Hey guys, I've noticed for the past few weeks that most club championships are finishing the last week of July - the first couple of days in August. Because of this, all of the facilities close to me (YMCAs, Universities, etc.) are permanently switching their pools back to yards. Is there a way to try and have next year's Summer nationals a little earlier than this years? Even YMCA Summer nationals start on August third. As if a successful taper wasn't hard enough, I (and I'm sure others) am having a hard time tapering for a long course meet in a scy pool since I have trained most of the summer scy. Thoughts? Alex M. Do you have any idea what would have to be done to change the date of Nationals once it's already in place? Although I have never been on a planning committee, I can imagine what a task that would be. Here are just a few things that come to mind: 1. Rescheduling the pool. In summer. Being a VERY busy time of year, I can only imagine... :afraid: 2. Rescheduling all of the volunteers, officials, vendors, hotels, etc. Why would this be a problem? See #1. :shakeshead: I'm sure you can see by now why USMS (and everybody stated in #2) would have to agree with Gary P on this one... ;)
  • I prefer to taper short course anyway. It's much too late to be working on conditioning, and it's easier to work on speed when there's not so much water to cover. Although it is annoying that the pools are all occupied with meets >:|
  • Here's the deal. All the best facilities are going to be booked solid toward the end of July and into early August with USA Swimming championship meets. This is the time these meets take place and it's not going to change. Even if we could wedge USMS Nationals into those weeks it probably wouldn't be a great idea because plenty of swimmers as well as meet official will be attending those meets. The bottom line is that the best time for a USMS Nationals is after that big wave of USAS meets is done with. By the way, there's nothing stopping you from swimming at USA Swimming meets. It might fit into your schedule better and there are certainly lots more choices in long course compared to USMS.
  • There are two 50 m outdoor YMCA pools near Cinci: Powell Y and Countryside Y.