Swimming and shoulder arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
Parents
  • As previously mentioned, get a second, or third opinion. I am fortunate that my physician is also a swimmer. Regarding fins, if you choose to utilize fins, find some fins that are light and possibly float in the water. Some fins are heavy, and are like dead weight when you use them. When swimming I personally do all four competitive strokes, mostly to avoid the type of situation you are experiencing. My shoulders get the full range not just one over and over again. Repeating what we previously mentioned, utilize yoga keep yourself loose, and strong.
  • As previously mentioned, get a second, or third opinion. I am fortunate that my physician is also a swimmer. Regarding fins, if you choose to utilize fins, find some fins that are light and possibly float in the water. Some fins are heavy, and are like dead weight when you use them. When swimming I personally do all four competitive strokes, mostly to avoid the type of situation you are experiencing. My shoulders get the full range not just one over and over again. Repeating what we previously mentioned, utilize yoga keep yourself loose, and strong.
Children
No Data