Swimming and shoulder arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
  • I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech My immediate thought is that you need another opinion! The fins idea sounds sensible. There are strokes other than freestyle that you might enjoy working on. Maybe the situation can be improved with some yoga, therapy exercises, heat, drugs... I'm no physician, but I would not stop swimming without checking out other options thoroughly.
  • Front mount snorkel with fins can get you moving around at a good speed
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi Karl, The bottom line for me is that when I swim freestyle the rotational movement causes me pain for days. I have had MRIs which show significant arthritic deterioration in both shoulders, particularly the left one. I have undergone several rounds of P.T., as well as meds and the usual stuff and can't think of any other way to swim using my upper body. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. sytech I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
  • I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. A few things come to mind: I agree with the response that you might want to get a second opinion. If possible, get someone knowledgeable to critique your stroke. It's possible that with some adjustments (more rotation, for example) that you can continue to swim freestyle. I find that breaststroke, especially if my pull is pretty short (not much more than a scull), is easier on my shoulders than free.
  • smontanaro is right to advise getting your stroke looked at by a coach who specializes in technique. Additionally, I would advise caution in using the fins that you mention. If you've never used them before, start out sparingly and evaluate the condition of your ankles and knees as you are using them. Overusing fins could also lead to ankle and knee problems, which is not what you are looking for right now! Why not also work on developing your true kick, without the aid of fins? That would benefit you even more and completing kicking sets that do not require the use of the kickboard (which can put strain on the shoulders) would allow you to give your upper body a break and develop the strength of the kick. There are plenty such kicking-related drills you can try (such as kicking@side, for example, or vertical kick). Definitely would not give up on the swimming entirely if at all possible. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    A few questions come to mind-- Where is the pain located? Who told you to stop swimming? And what did your PT consist of? Many of us have osteoarthritis in our shoulders, yet we continue to swim (and compete). If the pain is due to impingement, as it often is, a dryland program designed to strengthen the rotator cuff and stabilize the shoulder blades can be very effective over time. Ten years ago I could not swim more than 1500 yards without developing pain in my left shoulder; an MRI showed osteoarthritis but no tears in either the rotator cuff or the labrum. Every individual is different, of course, but it might be worthwhile seeking a second opinion as others have suggested. And addressing your stroke technique is critical.
  • Former Member
    I really do appreciate all the comments and suggestions which have been given to me. Because my ultimate goal is aerobic fitness rather than upper body conditioning per se, I'm thinking that using the Aqua Jogger might serve that purpose and spare my shoulders as well as other body parts . Any opinions on that? Thanks, Sy smontanaro is right to advise getting your stroke looked at by a coach who specializes in technique. Additionally, I would advise caution in using the fins that you mention. If you've never used them before, start out sparingly and evaluate the condition of your ankles and knees as you are using them. Overusing fins could also lead to ankle and knee problems, which is not what you are looking for right now! Why not also work on developing your true kick, without the aid of fins? That would benefit you even more and completing kicking sets that do not require the use of the kickboard (which can put strain on the shoulders) would allow you to give your upper body a break and develop the strength of the kick. There are plenty such kicking-related drills you can try (such as kicking@side, for example, or vertical kick). Definitely would not give up on the swimming entirely if at all possible. Good luck!
  • I have used and like the Aqua jogger. I can't do more than a few laps because I'm not used to it yet, but as someone who's also going through pt for a shoulder injury, it's been a good way for me to at least get in the water. Here's the website, and fyi, you can add shoes and hand weights for a more aerobic workout: http://www.aquajogger.com/.
  • As previously mentioned, get a second, or third opinion. I am fortunate that my physician is also a swimmer. Regarding fins, if you choose to utilize fins, find some fins that are light and possibly float in the water. Some fins are heavy, and are like dead weight when you use them. When swimming I personally do all four competitive strokes, mostly to avoid the type of situation you are experiencing. My shoulders get the full range not just one over and over again. Repeating what we previously mentioned, utilize yoga keep yourself loose, and strong.
  • Bill Sive, can you recommend light fins? I have Speedos and Finis training fins, but I find the weight of both pretty heavy and can only use them for a very short duration or my legs cramp up. Maybe I'm using the fins wrong, but to me they feel pretty heavy compared to my old snorkeling fins.