Swimming and shoulder arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I really do appreciate all the comments and suggestions which have been given to me. Because my ultimate goal is aerobic fitness rather than upper body conditioning per se, I'm thinking that using the Aqua Jogger might serve that purpose and spare my shoulders as well as other body parts . Any opinions on that? Thanks, Sy smontanaro is right to advise getting your stroke looked at by a coach who specializes in technique. Additionally, I would advise caution in using the fins that you mention. If you've never used them before, start out sparingly and evaluate the condition of your ankles and knees as you are using them. Overusing fins could also lead to ankle and knee problems, which is not what you are looking for right now! Why not also work on developing your true kick, without the aid of fins? That would benefit you even more and completing kicking sets that do not require the use of the kickboard (which can put strain on the shoulders) would allow you to give your upper body a break and develop the strength of the kick. There are plenty such kicking-related drills you can try (such as kicking@side, for example, or vertical kick). Definitely would not give up on the swimming entirely if at all possible. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I really do appreciate all the comments and suggestions which have been given to me. Because my ultimate goal is aerobic fitness rather than upper body conditioning per se, I'm thinking that using the Aqua Jogger might serve that purpose and spare my shoulders as well as other body parts . Any opinions on that? Thanks, Sy smontanaro is right to advise getting your stroke looked at by a coach who specializes in technique. Additionally, I would advise caution in using the fins that you mention. If you've never used them before, start out sparingly and evaluate the condition of your ankles and knees as you are using them. Overusing fins could also lead to ankle and knee problems, which is not what you are looking for right now! Why not also work on developing your true kick, without the aid of fins? That would benefit you even more and completing kicking sets that do not require the use of the kickboard (which can put strain on the shoulders) would allow you to give your upper body a break and develop the strength of the kick. There are plenty such kicking-related drills you can try (such as kicking@side, for example, or vertical kick). Definitely would not give up on the swimming entirely if at all possible. Good luck!
Children
No Data