Swimming and shoulder arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    A few questions come to mind-- Where is the pain located? Who told you to stop swimming? And what did your PT consist of? Many of us have osteoarthritis in our shoulders, yet we continue to swim (and compete). If the pain is due to impingement, as it often is, a dryland program designed to strengthen the rotator cuff and stabilize the shoulder blades can be very effective over time. Ten years ago I could not swim more than 1500 yards without developing pain in my left shoulder; an MRI showed osteoarthritis but no tears in either the rotator cuff or the labrum. Every individual is different, of course, but it might be worthwhile seeking a second opinion as others have suggested. And addressing your stroke technique is critical.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    A few questions come to mind-- Where is the pain located? Who told you to stop swimming? And what did your PT consist of? Many of us have osteoarthritis in our shoulders, yet we continue to swim (and compete). If the pain is due to impingement, as it often is, a dryland program designed to strengthen the rotator cuff and stabilize the shoulder blades can be very effective over time. Ten years ago I could not swim more than 1500 yards without developing pain in my left shoulder; an MRI showed osteoarthritis but no tears in either the rotator cuff or the labrum. Every individual is different, of course, but it might be worthwhile seeking a second opinion as others have suggested. And addressing your stroke technique is critical.
Children
No Data