Swimming and shoulder arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi Karl, The bottom line for me is that when I swim freestyle the rotational movement causes me pain for days. I have had MRIs which show significant arthritic deterioration in both shoulders, particularly the left one. I have undergone several rounds of P.T., as well as meds and the usual stuff and can't think of any other way to swim using my upper body. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. sytech I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hi Karl, The bottom line for me is that when I swim freestyle the rotational movement causes me pain for days. I have had MRIs which show significant arthritic deterioration in both shoulders, particularly the left one. I have undergone several rounds of P.T., as well as meds and the usual stuff and can't think of any other way to swim using my upper body. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. sytech I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
Children
No Data