Swimming and shoulder arthritis

Former Member
Former Member
I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech
Parents
  • I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech My immediate thought is that you need another opinion! The fins idea sounds sensible. There are strokes other than freestyle that you might enjoy working on. Maybe the situation can be improved with some yoga, therapy exercises, heat, drugs... I'm no physician, but I would not stop swimming without checking out other options thoroughly.
  • I am a 67 year old male who has enjoyed swimming freestyle for years as method of exercise to keep fit. I recently was advised that due to severe osteoarthritis in both my shoulders that I stop that swimming. I was thinking of using those short stubby fins in the pool to propel myself with my quads in order to get a decent workout without having to rely too much on my upper body. Was wondering if anyone can provide me with feedback on this situation. Thanks , sytech My immediate thought is that you need another opinion! The fins idea sounds sensible. There are strokes other than freestyle that you might enjoy working on. Maybe the situation can be improved with some yoga, therapy exercises, heat, drugs... I'm no physician, but I would not stop swimming without checking out other options thoroughly.
Children
No Data