Shower rule

Former Member
Former Member
Our pool closed twice in the last month for filtration issues. The pool was so cloudy, you could barely see your way through the lane. It still is cloudy, hence, management has put up some very stringent shower rules, which, of course, are not enforced by the guards. Needless to say, people still get in without showering, do not wear caps even with long hair, etc. Does anyone know if there is a law that showers must be taken prior to entering pools? Seems to me that if management is going to go through the motions of posting rules, and threatening membership cancellation, they should enforce it. If I really thought about what people who don't shower bring into the pool, I would never swim. :D
  • I had a brief, not altogether pleasant, period where I was an LA Fitness member. This was a few years ago. My membership period apparently overlapped with a corporate decision to outsource maintenance of their pools (at least here in the Chicago area). I believe that fundamentally meant that their staff either lost all information necessary to maintain the pool properly, or were perhaps instructed not to mess with it. I remember pool closings, cloudy water, low water level, credit from LAF for several months of membership fees (the pool was all I used), etc. At one point, I corresponded with the health inspector here in Evanston who said they had ongoing problems with LA Fitness related to their pool. Problems which put them on the health inspector's radar screen are going to be caused my more than a few sweaty weight lifters hopping into the pool without showering. I had to struggle to cancel my membership. Not long after that, they had a big problem with their pool at the location I used. Something leaked, and it flooded the store on the floor below. Never again...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Hey Sojerz, I will PM you. I'm a former member of LA Fitness. The pool was too warm and cloudy for me. As you said, it's shallow, and very "choppy." Since I have inner ear issues, (motion sickness) I try to avoid choppy pools. I noticed there is never anyone (guards, cleaning staff) in the pool area. The showers are nice, but I never saw anyone use them.
  • All I can say to the people who don't shower before getting into the pool is yuck. I see women in the locker room who come in with body cream and perfume. And then there are the people who stay in the shower for a half hour yakking and using up the precious water supply.
  • All I can say to the people who don't shower before getting into the pool is yuck. I doubt the "showers" most folks take (turn on the water, get your armpits wet, spin around once, maybe wet your hair, then get out) have much effect on the lotion and perfume people have put on their skin.
  • Former Member
    Most of my training was done in the shower, seldom went in the pool. I did not affect the pool condition.
  • Former Member
    I know this is a bit off topic-- My daughter and son-in-law switched their pool from chlorine to salt last summer. The time and money they are spending to maintain the pool is far less than in previous years. The pool is almost effortless now. AND, I have never seen any pool as clear and sparkling as theirs. It is very nice to be able to swim without goggles! If any of you are considering the switch from chlorine to salt, I would recommend it.
  • And while we are in rant mode ------ ALL the parents of kids swimming are allowed to walk on deck to sit in chairs with the same shoes they walked thru the goose/ duck poop outside to get into the pool!!! This is almost unbelievable that they do this and no one other than me says anything to them!!
  • Former Member
    And while we are in rant mode ------ ALL the parents of kids swimming are allowed to walk on deck to sit in chairs with the same shoes they walked thru the goose/ duck poop outside to get into the pool!!! This is almost unbelievable that they do this and no one other than me says anything to them!! Oh, I totally want to vomit when I see that, but I may be able to top your peeve - how about the people who lay their pool shoes on the inside ledge of the pool. really? You've tracked heaven knows what germs from the shower and toilet floors onto your flip flops and now they are sitting practically in the pool. People are gross sometimes.
  • Former Member
    I doubt the "showers" most folks take (turn on the water, get your armpits wet, spin around once, maybe wet your hair, then get out) have much effect on the lotion and perfume people have put on their skin. that sums it up for most showers I've seen.
  • Former Member
    All I can say to the people who don't shower before getting into the pool is yuck. I see women in the locker room who come in with body cream and perfume. And then there are the people who stay in the shower for a half hour yakking and using up the precious water supply. Denise, that doesn't bother me as much as the thought of people having used the bathroom for various "evacuations" and don't shower afterwards. And how about the women who get in the pool with earrings and chains on?