Walking on to a team-what to expect?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, So I'm starting college next year, and I swim often for recreation and exercise. I usually swim laps at my gym after school. I was on a club for two years in middle school before quitting. My friend and I are going to be attending the same college in the fall, it's a d3 school, but is not known as a particularly fast team, so the time standards are low. In fact, this school competes against NJCAA teams in addition to other d3 teams. My friend has been encouraging me to walk on the team and swim with her, but I'm not so sure. I spoke with the coach and gave him my times, and he said they were good enough. I'd ask him and my friend these questions, but my friend is on vacation and my potential coach will be out of the office until July. However, I'm not exactly sure what to expect as a walk on. How do I balance swimming and academics? Are practices tough and cover a ton of yardage? What do I expect at meets? Do men and women usually train together? What are the attendance requirements? I'm pretty nervous about this whole thing. Also, especially with the Olympics coverage 3 years ago, I've heard a lot of swimmers pee in the pool. I find this personally disgusting, and I'm not sure if I would want to be swimming with other people peeing in the pool, that's so gross. Do swimmers on college teams pee in the pool? Thanks everyone in advance Sarah
Parents
  • If the coach thinks your times are good enough, I think you should give it a try. There is no way to know whether you will like it unless you do it. The comradery amongst swimmers on a team is generally substantial, you will fit in quickly, and have friends and experiences that will last a lifetime. Especially because you haven't been competitively swimming a whole lot, you don't know what potential you may be able to develop quickly. There may be some coaches that just focus on their scholarship swimmers, but yours does not sound like one of them. A walk on swimmer is no different than any other swimmer in the water. Like any team, there could be a "prima dona" or two, but the coaches on most teams are likely to treat everyone the same (one can't do a good job of coaching a team and show favorites). You'll likely have to work hard and practices will probably be tough, especially at first. I believe AM and PM practices are pretty much the norm at the college level, some of those sessions may be dry land stretching and strength, but there will also be meets and travel. It takes dedication to get to classes, study, get rest, and enjoy your college experience outside of sports too. Balancing the above is possible with some sacrifice on the social/leisure end - 1,000s have done it, and you can too, if you are dedicated. Get in the pool this summer with a team and a good coach, if you can, or solo. Start swimming intervals and add in some dry land too, if you have time - there are plenty of workouts listed on the USMS website for solo swimming. I don't think college swimmers pee in the pool anymore frequently than other swimmers and probably less so than the AGers you swam with. Swimmers sweat when they are working hard (it's just not visible), so it would seem reasonable that it's probably not very often college swimmers have to pee at all during workouts. Time doesn't go backwards, and so a second chance wont' likely be possible. Hope you go for it!
  • If the coach thinks your times are good enough, I think you should give it a try. There is no way to know whether you will like it unless you do it. The comradery amongst swimmers on a team is generally substantial, you will fit in quickly, and have friends and experiences that will last a lifetime. Especially because you haven't been competitively swimming a whole lot, you don't know what potential you may be able to develop quickly. There may be some coaches that just focus on their scholarship swimmers, but yours does not sound like one of them. A walk on swimmer is no different than any other swimmer in the water. Like any team, there could be a "prima dona" or two, but the coaches on most teams are likely to treat everyone the same (one can't do a good job of coaching a team and show favorites). You'll likely have to work hard and practices will probably be tough, especially at first. I believe AM and PM practices are pretty much the norm at the college level, some of those sessions may be dry land stretching and strength, but there will also be meets and travel. It takes dedication to get to classes, study, get rest, and enjoy your college experience outside of sports too. Balancing the above is possible with some sacrifice on the social/leisure end - 1,000s have done it, and you can too, if you are dedicated. Get in the pool this summer with a team and a good coach, if you can, or solo. Start swimming intervals and add in some dry land too, if you have time - there are plenty of workouts listed on the USMS website for solo swimming. I don't think college swimmers pee in the pool anymore frequently than other swimmers and probably less so than the AGers you swam with. Swimmers sweat when they are working hard (it's just not visible), so it would seem reasonable that it's probably not very often college swimmers have to pee at all during workouts. Time doesn't go backwards, and so a second chance wont' likely be possible. Hope you go for it!
Children
No Data