Walking on to a team-what to expect?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, So I'm starting college next year, and I swim often for recreation and exercise. I usually swim laps at my gym after school. I was on a club for two years in middle school before quitting. My friend and I are going to be attending the same college in the fall, it's a d3 school, but is not known as a particularly fast team, so the time standards are low. In fact, this school competes against NJCAA teams in addition to other d3 teams. My friend has been encouraging me to walk on the team and swim with her, but I'm not so sure. I spoke with the coach and gave him my times, and he said they were good enough. I'd ask him and my friend these questions, but my friend is on vacation and my potential coach will be out of the office until July. However, I'm not exactly sure what to expect as a walk on. How do I balance swimming and academics? Are practices tough and cover a ton of yardage? What do I expect at meets? Do men and women usually train together? What are the attendance requirements? I'm pretty nervous about this whole thing. Also, especially with the Olympics coverage 3 years ago, I've heard a lot of swimmers pee in the pool. I find this personally disgusting, and I'm not sure if I would want to be swimming with other people peeing in the pool, that's so gross. Do swimmers on college teams pee in the pool? Thanks everyone in advance Sarah
  • If the coach thinks your times are good enough, I think you should give it a try. There is no way to know whether you will like it unless you do it. The comradery amongst swimmers on a team is generally substantial, you will fit in quickly, and have friends and experiences that will last a lifetime. Especially because you haven't been competitively swimming a whole lot, you don't know what potential you may be able to develop quickly. There may be some coaches that just focus on their scholarship swimmers, but yours does not sound like one of them. A walk on swimmer is no different than any other swimmer in the water. Like any team, there could be a "prima dona" or two, but the coaches on most teams are likely to treat everyone the same (one can't do a good job of coaching a team and show favorites). You'll likely have to work hard and practices will probably be tough, especially at first. I believe AM and PM practices are pretty much the norm at the college level, some of those sessions may be dry land stretching and strength, but there will also be meets and travel. It takes dedication to get to classes, study, get rest, and enjoy your college experience outside of sports too. Balancing the above is possible with some sacrifice on the social/leisure end - 1,000s have done it, and you can too, if you are dedicated. Get in the pool this summer with a team and a good coach, if you can, or solo. Start swimming intervals and add in some dry land too, if you have time - there are plenty of workouts listed on the USMS website for solo swimming. I don't think college swimmers pee in the pool anymore frequently than other swimmers and probably less so than the AGers you swam with. Swimmers sweat when they are working hard (it's just not visible), so it would seem reasonable that it's probably not very often college swimmers have to pee at all during workouts. Time doesn't go backwards, and so a second chance wont' likely be possible. Hope you go for it!
  • Talk to the coach. He or she can tell you what to expect in terms of workouts and other time commitments. The coach can also tell you what you should be doing now to get ready for the season. If the coach thinks you will fit in then give it a shot!
  • How do I balance swimming and academics? This is your toughest question! Don't take more classes than your adviser recommends and make sure you get enough sleep. No secret sauce to this one, everyone is different. Are practices tough and cover a ton of yardage? Completely depends on the coach. What do I expect at meets? I don't imagine you will have much input in what events you swim, unless the coach/program is very laid back. Keep in mind that the coach is trying to win the meets or figure out what your best events will be, as opposed to making all of the student-athletes happy (everyone wants to do the 50 free). Sometimes this means doing the same events at every meet or perhaps not getting to swim in some meets at all. Do men and women usually train together? If there is only one head coach, probably. What are the attendance requirements? Depends on the coach, so you'll have to wait to ask. I swam DI and appreciated swimmers who made all the workouts and were always on time. As a former D3 assistant coach, I hoped for perfect attendance from my swimmers, but realized that swimming wasn't necessarily the highest priority. Excused absences happen, but the acceptable reasons will depend on your coach. I'm pretty nervous about this whole thing. Understandable! Good luck and have fun!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thanks guys, anymore tips out there?
  • Find an age group or Masters program and train this summer. Definitely. If you show up out of shape the first day of college practice things probably won't go well.
  • True, plus having that preliminary team experience and getting used to the workouts could go a long way in the fall... said someone who only started masters' swimming at age 54! ;) The pee in the pool thing? I feel 100 percent certain that my Y pool has its share of ... uh... ingredients aside from water and chlorine. I just try not to think about it--and shower before/after swimming. Nothing is 100 percent pristine. Staying hydrated, eating healthy foods, getting your vitamin c... all help. Don't forget to rest--don't overload yourself w/ courses so you haven't time for adequate rest and food. All that aside, go for it! I only wish there had been a swim team at my college because at the time I started, swimming was about the only sport I enjoyed (later added running but that's another story). Better to try it and maybe decide it's not for you than to keep wondering "what if"!
  • Thanks guys, anymore tips out there?Find an age group or Masters program and train this summer.
  • i know you said the coach is out of office until July, but I find it hard to believe in this day and age they would not be checking email periodically. shoot them a message and see what happens. i'd be willing to bet you'll hear back.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    The coach got back to me, and I first want to say thanks to everyone for the replies. I've been doing training with a club in the meantime, one that is a lot more serious than clubs I've joined in the past. I think the hardest part will be the school/swimming balance, but I think I can manage. Also, since starting more serious training with my club, let's just say I don't take restroom breaks anymore. The whole pee in the pool thing doesn't bother me much anymore either. I'll leave everyone else to figure that out.
  • Sarah speaking from experience there is a bit of an adjustment between club level swimming and collegiate swimming. One of the most difficult things I dealt with was balancing a sharp increase in weight training and the soreness that came with it. My swimming suffered during this time, but my body adjusted and I was swimming fast again within 3 months. This period of my collegiate career was extremely frustrating but I was lucky to have a very patient and supportive coach who had a plan for me. As far as balancing practice, meets and academics, I believe that most schools require student athletes to attend mandatory study hall sessions in order to keep up with your classes. Your academic advisor will help you select the right number of classes to prevent mental fatigue during the semester. Most importantly do not be nervous!! The coach and team understand that you going through a academic/athletic/life transition and they will be supportive. Do not be afraid to ask the coaches and upper classmen for advice and most importantly HAVE FUN!!!! Remember that on your first day of practice you are already part of a special family who will support you through good and bad time. The student-athlete experience is a great one and it only comes around once in your life, so absorb as much as you can, make great memories, and SWIM FAST! By the way to quote Mr. Lochte, "a pool is just a big toilet." At one time or another most swimmers have pee'd in a pool!