Relearning backstroke

Former Member
Former Member
I have to say the last few months have been quite a revelation for me in my backstroke technique. I always muddled through backstroke sets knowing I was floundering, but I'm starting to really enjoy it. Most of it is good, check that I'm definitely faster, but I feel I'm leaving some serious propulsion on the table. Wondering if any of the backstroke mavens here might have some insight for me please. I way over rotated, but am now probably rotating 30* according to eyes on deck. Net effect was my shoulders liked less rotation and now that I'm spending less time rotating my stroke rate has picked up a bit where it was way slow. Seems like maybe I have picked up the harder parts(entry and catch), but am lagging behind on the uptake on how to keep connected with the water once I get down to maybe mid torso. I just feel like I'm losing my grip. I have watched so many videos of Lochte and other studs and in my minds eye I see it, but just have not had success putting it together in the water. I'm a huge fan of sculling and I definitely know what it feels like when my paddle disengages. Yuk! Are they any suggestions you might have for someone who, at least by my coaches eye, has the body position doable and entry catch passable? BUT seemingly is stuck in neutral on the back half of the power phase? Thank you in advance, Lame Backstroker
  • I have to say the last few months have been quite a revelation for me in my backstroke technique. I always muddled through backstroke sets knowing I was floundering, but I'm starting to really enjoy it. Most of it is good, check that I'm definitely faster, but I feel I'm leaving some serious propulsion on the table. Wondering if any of the backstroke mavens here might have some insight for me please. I way over rotated, but am now probably rotating 30* according to eyes on deck. Net effect was my shoulders liked less rotation and now that I'm spending less time rotating my stroke rate has picked up a bit where it was way slow. Seems like maybe I have picked up the harder parts(entry and catch), but am lagging behind on the uptake on how to keep connected with the water once I get down to maybe mid torso. I just feel like I'm losing my grip. I have watched so many videos of Lochte and other studs and in my minds eye I see it, but just have not had success putting it together in the water. I'm a huge fan of sculling and I definitely know what it feels like when my paddle disengages. Yuk! Are they any suggestions you might have for someone who, at least by my coaches eye, has the body position doable and entry catch passable? BUT seemingly is stuck in neutral on the back half of the power phase? Thank you in advance, Lame Backstroker Think about where your thumb is as you get to mid torso. Try to keep the thumb in close to you hip for as long as possible till you finish up and the hand "washes over" to allow for a thumb up exit for the recovery. Just like in freestyle the wrist is constantly flexing backwards to keep the palm of your hand facing to the other end of the pool as you keep the thumb in towards the hip.
  • I'm with Dan on keeping the hand close and the thumb in. Think about throwing a tennis ball from the catch at your heel. You'll probably notice the hand and thumb will tend toward the hip and thigh.
  • I also WAY over rotate to the point that it looks like free on my right side. I need to work on this a lot.
  • The article certainly brings up some good points, but it is also slightly contradictory. While the author indicates that the ideal amount of rotation should be 30 degrees, the images of the elite swimmers serve to demonstrate that there are actually a range of degrees of rotation practiced- going from 21 all the way to 38 degrees. This range depends on the individual swimmer, what distance they are swimming, and their ability level, which is something that the article does not clarify. Masters swimmers will also need to factor in their ability level and their strengths and weaknesses. For example, under-rotating and focusing on that shallow pull in the backstroke can cause shoulder problems in swimmers who do not have the necessary strength and mobility to execute that particular style of swimming properly. Over-rotation can cause the same issue if the swimmer is crossing over. Bottom line is that you have to be open-minded in discovering what is most efficient and least risky for you as an individual, instead of adhering to a rigid standard. Even elites vary in their swimming styles! And because you can't really see yourself as you swim, a coach who specializes in technique becomes even more important in helping you determine what is best for you.
  • This seems relevant: www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx Excellent story. I read it over twice.
  • Here's another presentation that may help: www.usaswimming.org/.../Backstroke 2010-Oct.pdf Note in the photos the bubbles at various points in the pulls. And, note how the rotation is linked to the back end of the pull ...
  • I tried this at practice. I seem to pull more bubbles at this point. do I need to go deeper at the start of the pull/catch phase to get rid of bubbles?
  • There are two points in the stroke that are a potential for grabbing air: the entry and the pull phase. If air bubbles occur during the pull phase, it means that your pull is too shallow. This is why it is important to have a coach monitor your stroke when you decide to make a change, so that he/she can let you know what is going on. Otherwise, following the advice of an article without that extra supervision may actually become a detriment to your stroke.