rule on records

Hypothetical question: can a hypothetical French citizen set hypothetical national records swimming for a hypothetical American team?
Parents
  • No logical reason other than in the organizational name (USMS), is United States. My "goal" would be all can participate, get top ten, and win awards. No foreign citizens get United States records. Otherwise why have records? Just have world records and yards records. Chris seemed to imply that a check box and verification perhaps would take too much effort, so I am good with that. I agree with Kurt and Knelson's last post. Despite the current rules, I would prefer that only US citizens have USMS national records. To me, that makes much more sense. And I don't see how it is any kind of "second class record;" it's an American record for goodness sake. The fact that USA swimming has two categories of records (national records only held by US citizens and open records held by anyone) doesn't support the USMS rule as is implied above. It makes it seem odd, and contrary to USA Swimming practices. Since you already have to check birth dates to validate records, it doesn't seem like it would be unduly onerous to verify citizenship. For example, USMS could require the person who set the record to send a copy of his passport instead of a birth certificate, which would verify citizenship and age simultaneously.
  • No logical reason other than in the organizational name (USMS), is United States. My "goal" would be all can participate, get top ten, and win awards. No foreign citizens get United States records. Otherwise why have records? Just have world records and yards records. Chris seemed to imply that a check box and verification perhaps would take too much effort, so I am good with that. I agree with Kurt and Knelson's last post. Despite the current rules, I would prefer that only US citizens have USMS national records. To me, that makes much more sense. And I don't see how it is any kind of "second class record;" it's an American record for goodness sake. The fact that USA swimming has two categories of records (national records only held by US citizens and open records held by anyone) doesn't support the USMS rule as is implied above. It makes it seem odd, and contrary to USA Swimming practices. Since you already have to check birth dates to validate records, it doesn't seem like it would be unduly onerous to verify citizenship. For example, USMS could require the person who set the record to send a copy of his passport instead of a birth certificate, which would verify citizenship and age simultaneously.
Children
No Data