rule on records

Hypothetical question: can a hypothetical French citizen set hypothetical national records swimming for a hypothetical American team?
Parents
  • If anything, it's an insult to swimmers who are citizens, because it implies they aren't good enough to set records unless some small subset is barred from consideration.I don't really agree and I don't think Kurt's intention was to exclude anyone unnecessarily. It was more definitional in nature and it's a reasonable question for debate and/or clarification. I had the same thought in the lead up to Nationals. Is a USMS national record for Americans only? In USA Swimming there is an American record that only Americans can win regardless of where it is swum. I don't think the owners of those records feel insulted by their achievements. There is also a US Open record that non-Americans can earn if swum in an American meet. For example: 50 FREESTYLE World: 20.91 Cesar Cielo, BRA Sao Paulo, BRA 12-18-09 American: 21.40sf Cullen Jones, USA Rome, ITA 08-01-09 U.S. Open: 21.14 Cesar Cielo, Auburn/BRA Indianapolis, IN 07-09-09
  • If anything, it's an insult to swimmers who are citizens, because it implies they aren't good enough to set records unless some small subset is barred from consideration.I don't really agree and I don't think Kurt's intention was to exclude anyone unnecessarily. It was more definitional in nature and it's a reasonable question for debate and/or clarification. I had the same thought in the lead up to Nationals. Is a USMS national record for Americans only? In USA Swimming there is an American record that only Americans can win regardless of where it is swum. I don't think the owners of those records feel insulted by their achievements. There is also a US Open record that non-Americans can earn if swum in an American meet. For example: 50 FREESTYLE World: 20.91 Cesar Cielo, BRA Sao Paulo, BRA 12-18-09 American: 21.40sf Cullen Jones, USA Rome, ITA 08-01-09 U.S. Open: 21.14 Cesar Cielo, Auburn/BRA Indianapolis, IN 07-09-09
Children
No Data