rule on records

Hypothetical question: can a hypothetical French citizen set hypothetical national records swimming for a hypothetical American team?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Kurt is implying only U.S. citizens be allowed in USMS. What he IS suggesting is that only U.S. citizens be eligible for USMS national records. In this case you would not have to "check everyone's citizenship," you would only need to check the citizenship of those who broke records. And since birth date is already being checked, would there really be a lot more effort to check citizenship? USMS is an organization for people over the age of 18 who swim and compete in the United States, regardless of their country of origin or passport. USMS National Record simply means the fastest time swum in a USMS sanctioned meet. There's simply no logical reason for the organization to decide that citizenship suddenly matters in this one thing when it's not a relevant factor in whether a person can be a member or swim in a meet. If anything, it's an insult to swimmers who are citizens, because it implies they aren't good enough to set records unless some small subset is barred from consideration.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Kurt is implying only U.S. citizens be allowed in USMS. What he IS suggesting is that only U.S. citizens be eligible for USMS national records. In this case you would not have to "check everyone's citizenship," you would only need to check the citizenship of those who broke records. And since birth date is already being checked, would there really be a lot more effort to check citizenship? USMS is an organization for people over the age of 18 who swim and compete in the United States, regardless of their country of origin or passport. USMS National Record simply means the fastest time swum in a USMS sanctioned meet. There's simply no logical reason for the organization to decide that citizenship suddenly matters in this one thing when it's not a relevant factor in whether a person can be a member or swim in a meet. If anything, it's an insult to swimmers who are citizens, because it implies they aren't good enough to set records unless some small subset is barred from consideration.
Children
No Data