rule on records

Hypothetical question: can a hypothetical French citizen set hypothetical national records swimming for a hypothetical American team?
Parents
  • oh, the semantics... a "USMS National Record" may be set by any eligible member of U.S. Masters Swimming in good standing regardless of citizenship. We don't have anything called "American" records. If we did, and the key word here is "American," then I think the citizenship debate should be opened. Regardless, there are how many records set every year? (very few) By how many swimmers? (even fewer) And of those, how many might not be U.S. Citizens? (rare) Not sure this is worth too much discussion. People keep quoting the rulebook...I got it. There is not "American" in USMS but there is United States which I believe is short for United States of America. I agree it is a rare occurrence but so is urinating in public, pedophilia, and murder but there are rules against these. Fortunately, I am not in danger of ever breaking any national records (sorry USMS records!), but I suppose the people that it affects might care and think it worth some discussion (but perhaps not).
  • oh, the semantics... a "USMS National Record" may be set by any eligible member of U.S. Masters Swimming in good standing regardless of citizenship. We don't have anything called "American" records. If we did, and the key word here is "American," then I think the citizenship debate should be opened. Regardless, there are how many records set every year? (very few) By how many swimmers? (even fewer) And of those, how many might not be U.S. Citizens? (rare) Not sure this is worth too much discussion. People keep quoting the rulebook...I got it. There is not "American" in USMS but there is United States which I believe is short for United States of America. I agree it is a rare occurrence but so is urinating in public, pedophilia, and murder but there are rules against these. Fortunately, I am not in danger of ever breaking any national records (sorry USMS records!), but I suppose the people that it affects might care and think it worth some discussion (but perhaps not).
Children
No Data