rule on records

Hypothetical question: can a hypothetical French citizen set hypothetical national records swimming for a hypothetical American team?
Parents
  • I agree. Great story. Definitely one of the greatest masters swimmers ever. I just think it peculiar that foreign citizens are allowed American national championships and national records. Kurt: This was brought up about 9 years ago and there was kind of a push to get USMS Open Records approved at the 2006 Convention for non USA citizens. The people that were proposing it could not attend the convention so it became a dead issue. At this same convention it was brought up that FINA should change the way they register swimmers for the World Championships and it should be by country and not by Club. That to did not get anywhere. We are very different than USA-S and FINA Swimming about this. Nicolas could not get a USMS Record unless he was a citizen of the USA under USA Swimming Rules. The NCAA has basically the same rule. Foreign citizens are allowed to get Championship Meet Records, US Open Records, and of course World Records when they swim in competitions on US soil. USMS lets any registered USMS swimmer get any National Record that they earn. Nicolas can"t get any records from this meet in France because they don't swim or keep short course yards records. In FINA Masters Swimming you are allowed to register with any FINA governing body and if you want you can register with two or more. USMS Rules only count the record if you are representing and swimming with your USMS Club at the meet and not the foreign one. I not sure what France or others do with this in SCM and LCM when swimmers are not swimming with there nations Club about National Records but USMS does not count the swims for USMS Top ten or Records unless he represents the USMS Club. . So the biggest difference is that in FINA Swimming, you must be a citizen of the country you are swimming for and you cannot swim for more than one country. We in USMS and the rest of the FINA Masters Swimming World are not at this stage yet and we may never get there.
  • I agree. Great story. Definitely one of the greatest masters swimmers ever. I just think it peculiar that foreign citizens are allowed American national championships and national records. Kurt: This was brought up about 9 years ago and there was kind of a push to get USMS Open Records approved at the 2006 Convention for non USA citizens. The people that were proposing it could not attend the convention so it became a dead issue. At this same convention it was brought up that FINA should change the way they register swimmers for the World Championships and it should be by country and not by Club. That to did not get anywhere. We are very different than USA-S and FINA Swimming about this. Nicolas could not get a USMS Record unless he was a citizen of the USA under USA Swimming Rules. The NCAA has basically the same rule. Foreign citizens are allowed to get Championship Meet Records, US Open Records, and of course World Records when they swim in competitions on US soil. USMS lets any registered USMS swimmer get any National Record that they earn. Nicolas can"t get any records from this meet in France because they don't swim or keep short course yards records. In FINA Masters Swimming you are allowed to register with any FINA governing body and if you want you can register with two or more. USMS Rules only count the record if you are representing and swimming with your USMS Club at the meet and not the foreign one. I not sure what France or others do with this in SCM and LCM when swimmers are not swimming with there nations Club about National Records but USMS does not count the swims for USMS Top ten or Records unless he represents the USMS Club. . So the biggest difference is that in FINA Swimming, you must be a citizen of the country you are swimming for and you cannot swim for more than one country. We in USMS and the rest of the FINA Masters Swimming World are not at this stage yet and we may never get there.
Children
No Data