Freestyle stroke flaw suggestions requested, please

Between swimming for a few months with a painful hip pre-surgery and having to swim with a pull buoy for nine weeks post-surgery, my hip problems caused a new stroke flaw that I had never had in the past with my freestyle. Check out my entire left arm and my right hand in the videos below, and you'll see what I mean. To help correct the flaw, I've been using a pair of Finis Forearm Fulcrums and doing the bow and arrow drill, but I thought I would check in with my fellow Forumites for additional suggestions. I'm mainly concerned with my entry leading up to the pull. Due to a previous (non-swimming related) major shoulder surgery, I can't keep my elbows any higher on the pull, because of the stress on my clavicles. www.youtube.com/watch Thanks, Forumites! :agree:
  • P.S. The following is a video shot yesterday, one week after the one above: www.youtube.com/watch
  • Elaine! So good to see you back in the water and kicking so well after your hip surgery :) Keep doing what you're doing. I would add to the bow and arrow drill the recommendation that you work on single arm, if possible. That will allow you to really focus on each arm and control your movements, observing what you are doing during each phase of the stroke cycle. Keep up the great work!
  • Elaine! So good to see you back in the water and kicking so well after your hip surgery :) Keep doing what you're doing. I would add to the bow and arrow drill the recommendation that you work on single arm, if possible. That will allow you to really focus on each arm and control your movements, observing what you are doing during each phase of the stroke cycle. Keep up the great work! Thanks, Julia! :D I have been doing some single arm freestyle, and it seems like everything works just perfectly when I am just using the one arm! As soon as I go back to two arms, they start flopping around again. :dunno: It's the weirdest thing, because I have never had this problem before. :confused: I'm glad to hear I am on the right track with trying to fix the problem. It took several weeks to develop this flaw, so I'm sure it's going to take several more to undo it. Perhaps I'm being too impatient... :waiting: Thanks for your advice and encouragement!:agree:
  • Definitely be patient. You've adapted to new conditions post-surgery and using a pull buoy for 9 weeks must have changed your stroke somewhat. It will take some time to return to normal. Work on continuing to develop your core and your rotation. You can already see a significant difference between the kick in your first and second video, especially on the left side - in the second video it is much more consistent and efficient. Keep up the great work!
  • Hi Elaine, I noticed It looks like your ankles have lost a little flexibility, I would guess from not kicking for 3 months. Other than the minor flaw discussed and addressed, your freestyle looks good and streamlined to me. There is a little room for a higher elbow, but that is probably true for most of us and depends on if we can bend like that.
  • Hi Elaine, I noticed It looks like your ankles have lost a little flexibility, I would guess from not kicking for 3 months. Other than the minor flaw discussed and addressed, your freestyle looks good and streamlined to me. There is a little room for a higher elbow, but that is probably true for most of us and depends on if we can bend like that. Yeah, two weeks on :toohurt: and nine weeks swimming with a pull buoy is probably the cause of that loss in flexibility. I've been doing a lot of stretching to regain flexibility elsewhere (I can bend over and touch the floor with straight legs, flat hands on the floor, and even a bend in my elbows. :banana:); however, I haven't worked enough on the ankles other than ankle circles. I will concentrate on pointed toes when I kick and stretch. Thanks for pointing that out! As for higher elbows, if I go any higher with them, it puts too much stress on my (previously operated on) shoulder. It's a stroke "flaw" by choice, so that I can be in the sport for the rest of my life. For me, preventing injuries takes precedence over clocking faster times. :agree:
  • Has your under water stroke changed as well? That is what counts! That IS what changed. ​That's why I am only including underwater videos in this thread.;)
  • Has your under water stroke changed as well? That is what counts!