Is swimming very high volume the only way to get better?

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, swimmers! I'm barely a real swimmer... I come from a running background (middle distance, mostly, and a bunch of post-college 5ks) and a series of injuries forced me into the pool. I actually couldn't swim at all until 2013, but seemed to improve fairly quickly (at freestyle). So here's my question. Can I keep improving without doing super-long swims? I do not seem to recover or cope well with long swims. I've gone up to 3500 yards in a single workout (took almost an hour), but it basically wipes me out and I don't think I'm good enough at form to keep good form for the whole swim. But when I reduce my workout volume to 1800-2800 yards per workout (but lots of hard sets that a great triathlon coach writes for me) and swim 6 times per week, I do improve! I've brought my 100 yard time from 1:31 down to 1:21 in the past few months and my 500 from 8:00ish, to 7:28. I already have good muscle strength and aerobic fitness from all the lifting and training I did for running so I think mostly it's my form that holds me back in the swim. So should I keep swimming shorter swims and wait for form to smooth out? Or should I push the distance (maybe even just once a week?). Will I EVER feel good going long? One of the issues I have is that my health isn't great . I have an eating disorder history and tend to underfuel and that may be an issue too, though I'm doing much better now and am at a very healthy weight. I feel like my body is kind of exhausted, and while I like swimming, I want to get better at it without overexercising. Also, how do I do a darn flip turn?? I feel like my times would drop if I could do one, but as is, I'm so clumsy at it that they slow me down. Thanks, everyone. I hope to make swimming 'my' sport, even though I only began in my 20s and would love some input.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    That honestly doesn't sound too bad, especially for someone who only took up swimming in the last couple years. I can do a length of a 25 yard pool in as little as 14 strokes (counting the break-out pull) at a ~1:20/100 pace, but at 500 free "race pace" (1:10/hundred) I start at around 18 and get up to 20 or 21 when fatigued. FWIW, I took up swimming last year after a 27 year layoff. I had pretty much zero endurance at the beginning. Not only had I not swam for 27 years, I hadn't really worked out for most of that time either. But I did have a reasonable "feel for the water" from all the mileage I swam as a kid/teen so I didn't have the same kind of technique learning curve a newcomer would. My training has pretty much been only sets of 25's, 50's, and 75's with short rests (USRPT), and my total workouts are typically only 2200-3500 yards. After 6 months of that, 3-5 times a week, I tried a 1.2 mile swim* for time and was able to hold a ~1:20/100 pace to the half way point and then ~1:18/100 on the back half. So I would say no, you don't have to do mega yardage to improve your endurance. Technique and stroke efficiency matter, but you need conditioning to be able to hold the technique/efficiency together when you fatigue. You can get just as much conditioning, and arguably more, doing short distances at high pace as you can at longer distances but slower pace. If you can do a length in 18 strokes, your technique can't be all that bad. How's your streamline off the wall? When I'm doing a length in 14 strokes, I'm past the flags before I take that first stroke. I'm guessing you probably don't make it that far. That would make your 18 closer to my 14 than the difference might suggest. You always want to be mindful of your technique, but I think you may be ready for more high intensity work within the time/yardage you're already committing to. *This was an in-pool time trial to give myself a baseline time for an upcoming 1.2 mile open water event. That's very enlightening! I've actually been doing just that since I came here: similar volume (about 2000-2500 yards per workout six times a week) but higher intensity/less rest, with a bunch of short intervals on a miniscule amount of rest. Times have dropped several seconds in just a few weeks, and so has stroke count with some drills. Now I can do 15 strokes to a lap at easy pace (1:35/100 yards) and 18 when in the 1:20s. My new 400 yard time is 5:48 and I swam 1500 straight in 22:57 on Monday. I think I can better that, and I'm hitting consistently under 1:25 per 100 for many short intervals with short 's contributed. by the way, I should note that as a middle distance runner, almost all improvement I saw was from high intensity/low rest. Long slow distance did little but break me down.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    That honestly doesn't sound too bad, especially for someone who only took up swimming in the last couple years. I can do a length of a 25 yard pool in as little as 14 strokes (counting the break-out pull) at a ~1:20/100 pace, but at 500 free "race pace" (1:10/hundred) I start at around 18 and get up to 20 or 21 when fatigued. FWIW, I took up swimming last year after a 27 year layoff. I had pretty much zero endurance at the beginning. Not only had I not swam for 27 years, I hadn't really worked out for most of that time either. But I did have a reasonable "feel for the water" from all the mileage I swam as a kid/teen so I didn't have the same kind of technique learning curve a newcomer would. My training has pretty much been only sets of 25's, 50's, and 75's with short rests (USRPT), and my total workouts are typically only 2200-3500 yards. After 6 months of that, 3-5 times a week, I tried a 1.2 mile swim* for time and was able to hold a ~1:20/100 pace to the half way point and then ~1:18/100 on the back half. So I would say no, you don't have to do mega yardage to improve your endurance. Technique and stroke efficiency matter, but you need conditioning to be able to hold the technique/efficiency together when you fatigue. You can get just as much conditioning, and arguably more, doing short distances at high pace as you can at longer distances but slower pace. If you can do a length in 18 strokes, your technique can't be all that bad. How's your streamline off the wall? When I'm doing a length in 14 strokes, I'm past the flags before I take that first stroke. I'm guessing you probably don't make it that far. That would make your 18 closer to my 14 than the difference might suggest. You always want to be mindful of your technique, but I think you may be ready for more high intensity work within the time/yardage you're already committing to. *This was an in-pool time trial to give myself a baseline time for an upcoming 1.2 mile open water event. That's very enlightening! I've actually been doing just that since I came here: similar volume (about 2000-2500 yards per workout six times a week) but higher intensity/less rest, with a bunch of short intervals on a miniscule amount of rest. Times have dropped several seconds in just a few weeks, and so has stroke count with some drills. Now I can do 15 strokes to a lap at easy pace (1:35/100 yards) and 18 when in the 1:20s. My new 400 yard time is 5:48 and I swam 1500 straight in 22:57 on Monday. I think I can better that, and I'm hitting consistently under 1:25 per 100 for many short intervals with short 's contributed. by the way, I should note that as a middle distance runner, almost all improvement I saw was from high intensity/low rest. Long slow distance did little but break me down.
Children
No Data