Is swimming very high volume the only way to get better?

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, swimmers! I'm barely a real swimmer... I come from a running background (middle distance, mostly, and a bunch of post-college 5ks) and a series of injuries forced me into the pool. I actually couldn't swim at all until 2013, but seemed to improve fairly quickly (at freestyle). So here's my question. Can I keep improving without doing super-long swims? I do not seem to recover or cope well with long swims. I've gone up to 3500 yards in a single workout (took almost an hour), but it basically wipes me out and I don't think I'm good enough at form to keep good form for the whole swim. But when I reduce my workout volume to 1800-2800 yards per workout (but lots of hard sets that a great triathlon coach writes for me) and swim 6 times per week, I do improve! I've brought my 100 yard time from 1:31 down to 1:21 in the past few months and my 500 from 8:00ish, to 7:28. I already have good muscle strength and aerobic fitness from all the lifting and training I did for running so I think mostly it's my form that holds me back in the swim. So should I keep swimming shorter swims and wait for form to smooth out? Or should I push the distance (maybe even just once a week?). Will I EVER feel good going long? One of the issues I have is that my health isn't great . I have an eating disorder history and tend to underfuel and that may be an issue too, though I'm doing much better now and am at a very healthy weight. I feel like my body is kind of exhausted, and while I like swimming, I want to get better at it without overexercising. Also, how do I do a darn flip turn?? I feel like my times would drop if I could do one, but as is, I'm so clumsy at it that they slow me down. Thanks, everyone. I hope to make swimming 'my' sport, even though I only began in my 20s and would love some input.
Parents
  • Yes, you can certainly improve without mega yardage. In fact, there's a big movement to do higher quality and shorter yardage workouts. I suggest you go with what feels comfortable now. During those workouts focus on smoothing out your stroke and trying to maximize your distance per stroke. As you become more efficient the workouts will get easier. Plus, you need to be in it for the long haul so you need to make sure you enjoy it. Flip turns... use your hands to throw the water over your head. Most new swimmers make big round loops out to the side to get flipped over. Make sure you are not doing it. The hands need to catch the water and throw it over your head. This helps get the hips over. Try it away from the wall first and then move into the wall when you get comfortable. Good Luck.
  • Yes, you can certainly improve without mega yardage. In fact, there's a big movement to do higher quality and shorter yardage workouts. I suggest you go with what feels comfortable now. During those workouts focus on smoothing out your stroke and trying to maximize your distance per stroke. As you become more efficient the workouts will get easier. Plus, you need to be in it for the long haul so you need to make sure you enjoy it. Flip turns... use your hands to throw the water over your head. Most new swimmers make big round loops out to the side to get flipped over. Make sure you are not doing it. The hands need to catch the water and throw it over your head. This helps get the hips over. Try it away from the wall first and then move into the wall when you get comfortable. Good Luck.
Children
No Data