Chlorine / Asthma symptoms?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I swim 4 times per week and swim pretty hard. On Monday after my swim I experienced some Asthma symptoms for 2 days, and its continuing a bit today. I am wondering if it is because of the chlorine inhalation. The pool I swim in isn't in a big complex and is in a fairly tight indoor room. I talked to one of the lifeguards today and she told me that that the chlorine level is at 1 1/2, while the PH level is at 7.4 regularly. Does anyone have any experience with Asthma-like symptoms because of swimming? Thanks, Marc
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Read again. I clearly stated: No, that's way off base. When there's an obvious cause, there's no reason to look for something imaginary, or to take some dangerous drugs, even on top of chemicals in the water. I'm not interested, since you're loath to solution, and all you have to offer is medicating yourself.Regardless of whether or not you are interested, marcoab3 asked for others' experience with asthma-like symptoms because of swimming so I shared my experience with him. No need to insult others here.
  • Former Member
    I've personally done many intense workouts through my life, and never felt the way you've described. Therefore if it's not a medical issue in your case, then perhaps it's psychological, and you should see a psychologist. Another possible factor is improper breathing, described here, a rather common affliction. Usually asthmatics are not able to hold their breath very long, and practicing proper breathing can be helpful.Of course, not everyone has this reaction, but it is not uncommon. The physiology is well understood. It is not psychological, nor am I asthmatic. I have no problem with improper breathing and can easily swim nonstop for 6+ miles. You are really grasping at straws here, trying to find various arguments against a perfectly reasonable sharing of experience that was requested here.
  • Former Member
    Of course, not everyone has this reaction, but it is not uncommon. The physiology is well understood. It is not psychological, nor am I asthmatic. I have no problem with improper breathing and can easily swim nonstop for 6+ miles. You are really grasping at straws here, trying to find various arguments against a perfectly reasonable sharing of experience that was requested here. Whether it's common for people to attack themselves, you have exercise induced asthma, even when you're not exercising, yet don't have asthma. If that happened to me, I'd tell myself to relax and calm down. Plus I already told you I'm not interested in your off topic personal issues, but you keep responding about them. Perhaps you find my ideas more helpful than you're willing to admit.
  • Former Member
    Regardless of whether or not you are interested, marcoab3 asked for others' experience with asthma-like symptoms because of swimming so I shared my experience with him. The point is that you didn't have asthma symptoms due to chlorine, i.e. caused by chlorine and other chemicals in the water which is what this topic is about, as there is actually something medically wrong with you.
  • Alright you two, back to your corners. Nothing will be resolved.
  • Former Member
    Whether it's common for people to attack themselves, you have exercise induced asthma, even when you're not exercising, yet don't have asthma. If that happened to me, I'd tell myself to relax and calm down. Plus I already told you I'm not interested in your off topic personal issues, but you keep responding about them. Perhaps you find my ideas more helpful than you're willing to admit.No, I do not have exercise-induced asthma. I did have it a few times in high school when swimming competitively, and, of course, never when I was not exercising. I now occasionally experience exercise-induced rhinitis when I am pushing myself very hard, for example, after swimming 6 miles at a relatively fast pace. Achieving very high levels of physical fitness and endurance is actually a very good way to 'relax and calm down'. I will gladly respond when necessary to correct your misunderstanding or mischaracterizations. Not sure if that would be helpful, but it is amusing.