Fins Fins Fins

I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Parents
  • Agreed. I do see a benefit to fins for the dolphin kick, but definitely not as much for the freestyle. Even if you do manage to strengthen your leg muscles using fins, I have observed that swimmers who use fins on a regular basis tend to have a slower kick rate. Additionally, the structure of the kick changes - as I mentioned earlier - with the tendency towards a bent-knee, wider style of kick. You can actually see this quite clearly in the review video posted above at about 1:47. ... Bottom line: use fins - or any other swim tools - sparingly! I'm intrigued by this comment on the change in kick. My coaches have had me use fins for kick sets for the purpose of improving my kick (which tends to be more from the knees with feet not pointed). The idea seemed to be that the fins would help correct that. I will say I'm glad to have them for kick sets b/c instead of being hopelessly behind everyone else, I'm only a LITTLE behind everyone. I still have a ways to go. Typically I won't use the fins for anything but kick sets--the toe chafing aspect keeps me honest that way, but also I would rather not get too used to something I can't use for racing.
  • Agreed. I do see a benefit to fins for the dolphin kick, but definitely not as much for the freestyle. Even if you do manage to strengthen your leg muscles using fins, I have observed that swimmers who use fins on a regular basis tend to have a slower kick rate. Additionally, the structure of the kick changes - as I mentioned earlier - with the tendency towards a bent-knee, wider style of kick. You can actually see this quite clearly in the review video posted above at about 1:47. ... Bottom line: use fins - or any other swim tools - sparingly! I'm intrigued by this comment on the change in kick. My coaches have had me use fins for kick sets for the purpose of improving my kick (which tends to be more from the knees with feet not pointed). The idea seemed to be that the fins would help correct that. I will say I'm glad to have them for kick sets b/c instead of being hopelessly behind everyone else, I'm only a LITTLE behind everyone. I still have a ways to go. Typically I won't use the fins for anything but kick sets--the toe chafing aspect keeps me honest that way, but also I would rather not get too used to something I can't use for racing.
Children
No Data