overheating and sleep after evening practice

Former Member
Former Member
i've swam just about my entire life, however, i just started to encounter overheating after evening practice in the last few years. our practice generally ends at 830pm and i am home and in bed by 10pm. i can't use covers because i am radiating so much heat. i will then wake up maybe 3 hours later shivering and throw some blankets on then the cycle starts over. on the rare nights where heat isn't a problem, i will just randomly wake up around 1230am or so and stay awake for about half an hour before falling back asleep. (when i go home i don't eat anything (i eat before i swim) and i only have some water or maybe chocolate milk. i have about an hour before my wife and i go to bed and we just sit on the couch and watch some TV) has anyone had either of these problems? if so - what do you do?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    That sounds interesting. A few years ago, I was doing a lot of cardio intervals throughout the day and evening, and was also on a regimented diet. My energy and cardio capacity felt great. However, I felt pretty toasty and was down to my skivvies. At night, I would wear a quick dry performance shirt, as it was more comfortable. Night sweats sound familiar, however I can't say for sure. Maybe the shirt prevented this. Basically, I wore the shirt, so I wouldn't get cold when my body cooled down at night. I had so much energy, that I was getting up early, too. In retrospect, I would get periods of feeling warm, and feeling cold. At the time, I was wondering if my thyroid was having problems. i think that I was overtraining, as my performance didn't really improve. All of this resolved, after I switched to a different exercise routine. This looks like an interesting link. www.muscleandfitness.com/.../join-mf-study-night-sweats This one has a link to an article about exercise and thyroid. fitness.stackexchange.com/.../are-night-sweats-common-after-long-workouts Hope you feel better soon!
  • How much cool down do you do? If you need to , add more to work out the lactic acid from your system.
  • I used to have the same problem when my workouts were scheduled in the evenings. After getting home I just couldn't fall asleep because my muscles seemed to be burning inside. After a while I found resolution - I just rescheduled my workouts for the morning time. First couple weeks I was feeling strange like the body didn't wake but then I got used to it and since 2011 my workouts start at 7am in the mornings. Pros: 1) No problems with sleep at night since that time. 2) Feeling cheerful until lunch time 3) Never had problems with Masters meets sessions starting early in the mornings. Cons: Started to feel sleepy after lunch.
  • Former Member
    -i do about 200 yd warm down and i always take about a 10+ min luke warm shower. -i do have to sleep in a tech shirt because if i don't i swill sweat a HUGE puddle on my bed. -the pool water is 79-80 so it isnt a result of warm water -i've had my thyroid tested in the last couple of years - no problems here. - i feel like this after both hard and easy practices. i could understand if it was a test set or something similar.
  • Former Member
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like the article is saying that intense exercise can cause a temporary spike in circulating thyroid hormones. That might not show up on a blood test, unless it is drawn right after a workout, as was done in the study. It sounds pretty consistent with what I experienced, but certainly may not be the case with you. http://bit.ly/1ysHbYN Hope you get this all sorted out.
  • Former Member
    i've swam just about my entire life, however, i just started to encounter overheating after evening practice in the last few years. our practice generally ends at 830pm and i am home and in bed by 10pm. i can't use covers because i am radiating so much heat. i will then wake up maybe 3 hours later shivering and throw some blankets on then the cycle starts over. on the rare nights where heat isn't a problem, i will just randomly wake up around 1230am or so and stay awake for about half an hour before falling back asleep. (when i go home i don't eat anything (i eat before i swim) and i only have some water or maybe chocolate milk. i have about an hour before my wife and i go to bed and we just sit on the couch and watch some TV) has anyone had either of these problems? if so - what do you do? swim down properly after the main set and cool down in the shower or in an ice bath after practice
  • Let us know if you find relief in some other method.