2015 One Hour (e)Postal Swim

It's that time again. Who's planning to do it? Who's done it? If you did, how far did you swim? www.clubassistant.com/.../meet_information.cfm
Parents
  • Correct! You can stop whenever you want, but the clock keeps ticking. A couple weeks ago, I did an "unofficial" hour swim. A masters' teammate and I swam (not in the regular workout sessions) and our coach observed us and stopped us at the end of the hour. I took water a couple times, assuming the clock was still ticking--which was fine with me. But it raises a practical/strategy question: I'm doing another hour swim, an official one this time (I think people can choose whether they want results sent in, which I'm not sure I'll do b/c it's more just to get some feedback on my distance fitness). I'd like to improve on my yardage in this swim, and I'm trying to decide whether it's better to take something at more regular intervals than I did last time (took water after 500 yards and then close to the end, maybe last 15 mins. or so) or not stop. I noticed that I'd get a second wind after I stopped (each time) but I was worried I'd lose too much time if I stopped too often. Still, I noticed that my energy fell off about 20 or so minutes after taking a drink the first time. So I'm going back and forth between thinking I'd have been better off grabbing a drink about every 500 yards or not having anything the whole time since I'd be losing ground by stopping. Those with more experience in this, what are your thoughts?
  • Correct! You can stop whenever you want, but the clock keeps ticking. A couple weeks ago, I did an "unofficial" hour swim. A masters' teammate and I swam (not in the regular workout sessions) and our coach observed us and stopped us at the end of the hour. I took water a couple times, assuming the clock was still ticking--which was fine with me. But it raises a practical/strategy question: I'm doing another hour swim, an official one this time (I think people can choose whether they want results sent in, which I'm not sure I'll do b/c it's more just to get some feedback on my distance fitness). I'd like to improve on my yardage in this swim, and I'm trying to decide whether it's better to take something at more regular intervals than I did last time (took water after 500 yards and then close to the end, maybe last 15 mins. or so) or not stop. I noticed that I'd get a second wind after I stopped (each time) but I was worried I'd lose too much time if I stopped too often. Still, I noticed that my energy fell off about 20 or so minutes after taking a drink the first time. So I'm going back and forth between thinking I'd have been better off grabbing a drink about every 500 yards or not having anything the whole time since I'd be losing ground by stopping. Those with more experience in this, what are your thoughts?
Children
No Data