New To Marathon Swims

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I am looking for some advice on where to start training for a Marathon Swim? I am signed up for Swim around Key West this June. Because of injury, I haven't been in the pool for quite some time, so I am basically starting from square one, with little distance under my belt. I have competed in Ironman triathlons and my average 2.4 time is about 1:05, but I have little to no knowledge of how to train for 11-12 miles in the ocean. I travel a decent amount for work too, so wondering if I can substitute some long swims for long runs? Any/All advice/thoughts is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
  • At the risk of overgeneralizing, I think most people here are pool swimmers. 1500 meters is "distance" to us. However, rooting around in my list of swimming links, I found a link to the Marathon Swimmers Forum, which features a collection of threads about Training, including one specifically titled Swim around Key West Training Plan and Feasability (sic). Hope that helps.
  • This has peaked my interest as a guy on our team is training for a 35 mile swim from N dakota to mini next summer.
  • SAKW was my first marathon swim too and it was a blast. If you PM me your email address, I'll send you the training plan I created and worked off of last year. You can also read my blog on the USMS blog site - Road to Key West - to help you see what I went thru on the journey and the race report. As for substituting long runs for long swims? Would you do the opposite while training for a road marathon? Probably not. There really isn't a substitute for getting the time in the water so you should plan on making it happen. My longest swim was about 14 or 15K and 4 hours and still did fine for the race. And yes, marathon swimmers forum is a great place to go for information. Just do a search and you'll get several threads about the race and prep for it (sometimes too much info.). :) Feel free to drop me a line for any questions. Kari
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thank you very much...I will take a look at this link. appreciate the info
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Kari--thank you so much for the info, I sent you an email to yahoo acct??? hopefully you received it. Please let me know!!