Hypermobility help

Former Member
Former Member
I am returning to swimming after a long break. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility Type. All my joints are hypermobile. My shoulders pop in and out if I try to swim freestyle faster than a snail. This will hopefully get better with conditioning. Flutter kick causes my knees and ankles to become unstable. This will never get better. I competed in sprint races as a child without a kick. I use figure-8 elastic ankle braces in the water which almost keep my ankles together during a totally nonpropulsive flutter kick. I am allergic to tape and neoprene. Anyone have any ideas for knee and/or ankle stabilization in the water? PT was no help. I want to swim with a workout group but what will happen when we get to a kick set or IM. Doctors and PTs all agree I should never attempt fly pull or whip kick. They are afraid I will dislocate my shoulders/hips. I agree it is a good possibility but breaststroke was my stroke.
Parents
  • I want to swim with a workout group but what will happen when we get to a kick set or IM. Doctors and PTs all agree I should never attempt fly pull or whip kick. They are afraid I will dislocate my shoulders/hips. I agree it is a good possibility but breaststroke was my stroke. The (mostly open water swimmers/triathletes) in my squad come up with all sorts of variations on "IM". Would free - back - *** with a fly kick - free work for you?
  • I want to swim with a workout group but what will happen when we get to a kick set or IM. Doctors and PTs all agree I should never attempt fly pull or whip kick. They are afraid I will dislocate my shoulders/hips. I agree it is a good possibility but breaststroke was my stroke. The (mostly open water swimmers/triathletes) in my squad come up with all sorts of variations on "IM". Would free - back - *** with a fly kick - free work for you?
Children
No Data