Hypermobility help

Former Member
Former Member
I am returning to swimming after a long break. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility Type. All my joints are hypermobile. My shoulders pop in and out if I try to swim freestyle faster than a snail. This will hopefully get better with conditioning. Flutter kick causes my knees and ankles to become unstable. This will never get better. I competed in sprint races as a child without a kick. I use figure-8 elastic ankle braces in the water which almost keep my ankles together during a totally nonpropulsive flutter kick. I am allergic to tape and neoprene. Anyone have any ideas for knee and/or ankle stabilization in the water? PT was no help. I want to swim with a workout group but what will happen when we get to a kick set or IM. Doctors and PTs all agree I should never attempt fly pull or whip kick. They are afraid I will dislocate my shoulders/hips. I agree it is a good possibility but breaststroke was my stroke.
  • There is a Facebook group called Ehlers Danlos Athletes, for people with EDS who are or want to be physically active. m.facebook.com/.../365331673525025 I don't have a formal EDS diagnosis, but I'm Beighton 7/9. Symptomatic, but relatively mildly affected. (As my signature line says, I also have other disabilities)
  • I want to swim with a workout group but what will happen when we get to a kick set or IM. Doctors and PTs all agree I should never attempt fly pull or whip kick. They are afraid I will dislocate my shoulders/hips. I agree it is a good possibility but breaststroke was my stroke. The (mostly open water swimmers/triathletes) in my squad come up with all sorts of variations on "IM". Would free - back - *** with a fly kick - free work for you?
  • I want to swim with a workout group but what will happen when we get to a kick set or IM. This is Masters. If you don't want to do the kick set, you don't have to. You can do something else or rest at the wall. Just let your lane mates and coach know.
  • In addition to Glen's comments you could use a pull buoy during kick set and that would immobilize your hips, knees, and ankles.