What to do with head during Freestyle?

Former Member
Former Member
Good tidings, everyone! As you can all see, I am incredibly new to this site. I joined due to a simple question I had. Now, I am a sophomore in high who just learned how to swim last year. My 50 free time went from 1:09 to 28.5 within the course of six months. Now, I desire to go even faster.r I was told last year to swim with my head down, with my eyes looking towards the floor of the pool. Now, I have a new coach, and he is telling me to lift up my head. I am incredibly confused, especially since I swim about the same regardless of which position my head is in. If I could get some advice, that would be fantastic. Thanks so much!
Parents
  • It used to be the rule that the water should hit your forehead just above your eyebrows. Meaning that you used to lift your head. That is no longer the case for the reasons already stated. You should be looking straight down at the bottom of the pool. If you continue to be a 50 swimmer you will want to take maybe one breath on the first length and a max of two on the second length. That of course is your goal. You probably won't start off with that number of breaths, but you can work up to it. Head down is the correct position now. Good luck, it sounds like you have made excellent progress so far! Stick with it!
  • It used to be the rule that the water should hit your forehead just above your eyebrows. Meaning that you used to lift your head. That is no longer the case for the reasons already stated. You should be looking straight down at the bottom of the pool. If you continue to be a 50 swimmer you will want to take maybe one breath on the first length and a max of two on the second length. That of course is your goal. You probably won't start off with that number of breaths, but you can work up to it. Head down is the correct position now. Good luck, it sounds like you have made excellent progress so far! Stick with it!
Children
No Data