My beginner son

Former Member
Former Member
Hello! I hope this is the right area for this. My son just learned to swim this past summer and he is now on a competitive swim team. We are so proud of how far he's come. He just had his 3rd meet and his 25 back is at 27.56, his 25 free is at 30.03 and his 50 free is at 1:14.63. He is 8 years old. My questions are what can I do to help him improve? I know that is rather vague, but I am still learning myself. He loves swimming and is giving up doing all other sports to swim competitively so I know it is his passion. Should I have him wear regular trunks for practice to help give him resistance in the water? Any tip for diving? He kind of just plops a bit almost like a split. Also when doing freestyle he has trouble figuring out how to do his breathing properly. I appreciate any help you guys can provide. I just want to help my kiddo to the best of my ability. Thanks so much!
Parents
  • Hello! I hope this is the right area for this. My son just learned to swim this past summer and he is now on a competitive swim team. We are so proud of how far he's come. He just had his 3rd meet and his 25 back is at 27.56, his 25 free is at 30.03 and his 50 free is at 1:14.63. He is 8 years old. My questions are what can I do to help him improve? I know that is rather vague, but I am still learning myself. He loves swimming and is giving up doing all other sports to swim competitively so I know it is his passion. Should I have him wear regular trunks for practice to help give him resistance in the water? Any tip for diving? He kind of just plops a bit almost like a split. Also when doing freestyle he has trouble figuring out how to do his breathing properly. I appreciate any help you guys can provide. I just want to help my kiddo to the best of my ability. Thanks so much! Jetta, The most important thing at 8 years old is having fun and developing good habits. Building a strong swimming foundation is key. A strong foundation leads to some good swimming years as kids get older and they start growing into their bodies. For now just have him wear a good old fashion brief for practice as he gets older(teenage years) adding a drag suit will help develope a strong catch. Hope this helps. As far as swimming
  • Hello! I hope this is the right area for this. My son just learned to swim this past summer and he is now on a competitive swim team. We are so proud of how far he's come. He just had his 3rd meet and his 25 back is at 27.56, his 25 free is at 30.03 and his 50 free is at 1:14.63. He is 8 years old. My questions are what can I do to help him improve? I know that is rather vague, but I am still learning myself. He loves swimming and is giving up doing all other sports to swim competitively so I know it is his passion. Should I have him wear regular trunks for practice to help give him resistance in the water? Any tip for diving? He kind of just plops a bit almost like a split. Also when doing freestyle he has trouble figuring out how to do his breathing properly. I appreciate any help you guys can provide. I just want to help my kiddo to the best of my ability. Thanks so much! Jetta, The most important thing at 8 years old is having fun and developing good habits. Building a strong swimming foundation is key. A strong foundation leads to some good swimming years as kids get older and they start growing into their bodies. For now just have him wear a good old fashion brief for practice as he gets older(teenage years) adding a drag suit will help develope a strong catch. Hope this helps. As far as swimming
Children
No Data