Does your team have a "pre-team"?

On our masters team , we have a pre-team to aid swimmers that are new to team swimming & all 4 strokes. We have them learn the correct strokes & the associated drills that they will use when they move up to the regular team practices. This seems to help a lot of new swimmers into the world of masters team swimming. They meet twice a week for how ever long it takes till the asst. coach says they are ready to move into the workouts of the "seasoned" swimmers. Do other teams have this to aid new masters swimmers work their way on the team without the fear of getting run over or not knowing drills?
Parents
  • I see the Bernard Weinger JCC in Northbrook has a preMasters team. Wish there was one in the Evanston area. If any of you are considering starting up a pre team or "Masters Light" program here is how I have structured ours at the Minnetonka Masters: 15 min of free swim to allow swimmers to get in the water and get going. Than I do app 15 -20 min of drills which can consist of swimming, pulling, or kicking drills or a combination of all three. Than I finish up with a "main set" of app 1000 yds. Of course I write different main sets for different abilities such as 50's for newer swimmers and 100's -200's for the stronger swimmers. If there is time let in the hour session I do a few minutes of any stroke other than free. After a few weeks of this I start to encourage any of the swimmers to take in one of the regular Masters swims to see what they are like.
  • I see the Bernard Weinger JCC in Northbrook has a preMasters team. Wish there was one in the Evanston area. If any of you are considering starting up a pre team or "Masters Light" program here is how I have structured ours at the Minnetonka Masters: 15 min of free swim to allow swimmers to get in the water and get going. Than I do app 15 -20 min of drills which can consist of swimming, pulling, or kicking drills or a combination of all three. Than I finish up with a "main set" of app 1000 yds. Of course I write different main sets for different abilities such as 50's for newer swimmers and 100's -200's for the stronger swimmers. If there is time let in the hour session I do a few minutes of any stroke other than free. After a few weeks of this I start to encourage any of the swimmers to take in one of the regular Masters swims to see what they are like.
Children
No Data