Tips for first meet?

Hello. I will be competing in my first swim meet (ever) at the end of the month. I'd appreciate any tips or advice on how to go in to it. I haven't selected my events (up to five, not counting relays) and have been warned it is a very quick meet. 8 a.m. to about 11a.m. My best stroke is ***, although I'm afraid of the big DQ in that event, since it seems to be such a problem for our kids. Anyway, I'm just feeling really excited, but nervous, and I don't swim with a team, so I'm all on my own and was happy to find these forums for support. So anything you have to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Parents
  • At my first masters meet I introduced myself to the meet director and let him know that this was my first meet. He pointed me in the direction of a swimmer that was there for the first time the year before, and twenty years my senior. I made a new swimming buddy for life that I have been able to catch up with at most meets since, and he helped to answer my questions about how the meet would progress and overall encouragement. Make sure to enjoy the experience, make some friends, and not worry too much about your performances - you'll get the opportunity to see how your training is coming along and a starting point for your next event!
  • At my first masters meet I introduced myself to the meet director and let him know that this was my first meet. He pointed me in the direction of a swimmer that was there for the first time the year before, and twenty years my senior. I made a new swimming buddy for life that I have been able to catch up with at most meets since, and he helped to answer my questions about how the meet would progress and overall encouragement. Make sure to enjoy the experience, make some friends, and not worry too much about your performances - you'll get the opportunity to see how your training is coming along and a starting point for your next event!
Children
No Data