Allergies and swimming

I've been having some bad allergy days that have kept me indoors and out of the pool and wanting nothing more than a nap. Do you find that swimming helps alleviate allergies? Please say yes.:bed:
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    renie, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. I swim indoors, so I wonder if that makes a difference. My eyes hurt and my nose is itchy, I'm sneezing like crazy. But I hate being out of practice. I'm supposed to be at a class building to a 5k tonight, but she makes us run mostly outdoors so I'm thinking I may have to skip this week. Perhaps it's more of a yoga week. I hope you get back into the pool soon. The longer I'm out, the harder it is to get back into it aerobically for more than a lap or two, and I get anxious about going back if I don't swim regularly. Denise, thanks. My eyes were burning and I was sneezing a lot in the beginning. I thought it was allergies. I woudl think that swimming in an enclosed area might be worse, but then again, you don't have pollen/winds/mold to deal with outside. This is the first time I've ever gotten sick when swimming outside. Like I said in another post, maybe the new pool I joined isn't being kept up to healthy standards. It's also overloaded with chlorine and I've been swimming in salt water pools for the least year. Is your indoor pool salt or chlorine? If you think it's just allergies, I'd definitely swim, but since I have other issues (deviated septum, inner ear problems), I tend to go right into a sinus infection which can last for weeks.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    renie, I'm sorry to hear you're having such a tough time. I swim indoors, so I wonder if that makes a difference. My eyes hurt and my nose is itchy, I'm sneezing like crazy. But I hate being out of practice. I'm supposed to be at a class building to a 5k tonight, but she makes us run mostly outdoors so I'm thinking I may have to skip this week. Perhaps it's more of a yoga week. I hope you get back into the pool soon. The longer I'm out, the harder it is to get back into it aerobically for more than a lap or two, and I get anxious about going back if I don't swim regularly. Denise, thanks. My eyes were burning and I was sneezing a lot in the beginning. I thought it was allergies. I woudl think that swimming in an enclosed area might be worse, but then again, you don't have pollen/winds/mold to deal with outside. This is the first time I've ever gotten sick when swimming outside. Like I said in another post, maybe the new pool I joined isn't being kept up to healthy standards. It's also overloaded with chlorine and I've been swimming in salt water pools for the least year. Is your indoor pool salt or chlorine? If you think it's just allergies, I'd definitely swim, but since I have other issues (deviated septum, inner ear problems), I tend to go right into a sinus infection which can last for weeks.
Children
No Data