Abysmal at kickboard sets

:drowning: Yes, that's how I feel when there's any kickboard set. I know this kind of thing is good for me, but it's hair-tearing frustrating to do this. I know that there are techniques--kick from the hips, keep legs straight, etc. But even making my best effort at doing these things, I am beyond :frustrated: ... and it may be that as the frustration level rose, I tensed more and found it harder (telling self, "you idiot--others are doing this... why can't you?" which of course doesn't help, so I have to focus on my own workout). Well, mostly the others are wearing fins, so that helped me somewhat to know that it wasn't just me. So I'm thinking I'll order a pair, but first two questions: 1. If you can recommend any videos or offer any tips that would help, that would be great; 2. Those who use fins: which ones have worked best for you? Thanks for your suggestions. You could single-handedly save my kick. Is that not a good cause? ;)
Parents
  • I agree with almost everything you have posted,but not totally this time.Fins can certainly interfere with cadence,but even freestyle they can give you the sense of speed that helps with streamlining and takes stress off the shoulders.Butterfly they can help with leg strength,core strength,getting the feel for undulation and help with body position on the recovery.I swim a lot of BR pull/dolphin kick with fins to work on undulation and timing without burning up my knees with BR kick.I agree,don't do BR kick with regular fins. I have never tried the BR fins,but I have had a couple of people say they finally got a sense of what BR kick was supposed to feel like with them. Thankyou for your comments. I swam with a Masters team in th 90s that used finsabout 1/4 of the time, and my opinion on using fins is a reflection of myexperience (the only time I had knee problems I believe was because of usingfins - probably why I am bias against using them). Finscan certainly interfere with cadence - Agree, also practicing turns isobviously not in the mix. -but even freestyle they can give you the sense of speed that helps withstreamlining and takes stress off the shoulders - The sense of speed isenticing but can lead some swimmers to do their main sets or even their entireworkouts with fins (I believe this can lead to disappointment when the finscome off). I concede that if you have shoulder issues and fins can releve thisthen for this purpose fins are providing a useful fuction. -Butterfly they can help with leg strength,core strength,getting the feel forundulation and help with body position on the recovery. - I can't do butterflyso I'll concede to your experience here. I swim a lot of BR pull/dolphin kick with finsto work on undulation and timing without burning up my knees with BR kick. - Iffins can releve you of knee concerns and still give you a arm workout then Iagree that fins are useful here (as I mentioned previously my experience hasbeen just the opposite but that is because I have a lousy half *** stokehalf dolphin butterfly kick) Iagree, don't do BR kick with regular fins. I have never tried the BR fins,but Ihave had a couple of people say they finally got a sense of what BR kick wassupposed to feel like with them. - I never heard of BR fins until I read yourresponse, BR fins sounds like an oxymoron to me :).Watching a video on BR finsmade my knees hurt :). These fins can't give you the correct ankle movements andtoe movements necessary for the proper *** stoke kick.
  • I agree with almost everything you have posted,but not totally this time.Fins can certainly interfere with cadence,but even freestyle they can give you the sense of speed that helps with streamlining and takes stress off the shoulders.Butterfly they can help with leg strength,core strength,getting the feel for undulation and help with body position on the recovery.I swim a lot of BR pull/dolphin kick with fins to work on undulation and timing without burning up my knees with BR kick.I agree,don't do BR kick with regular fins. I have never tried the BR fins,but I have had a couple of people say they finally got a sense of what BR kick was supposed to feel like with them. Thankyou for your comments. I swam with a Masters team in th 90s that used finsabout 1/4 of the time, and my opinion on using fins is a reflection of myexperience (the only time I had knee problems I believe was because of usingfins - probably why I am bias against using them). Finscan certainly interfere with cadence - Agree, also practicing turns isobviously not in the mix. -but even freestyle they can give you the sense of speed that helps withstreamlining and takes stress off the shoulders - The sense of speed isenticing but can lead some swimmers to do their main sets or even their entireworkouts with fins (I believe this can lead to disappointment when the finscome off). I concede that if you have shoulder issues and fins can releve thisthen for this purpose fins are providing a useful fuction. -Butterfly they can help with leg strength,core strength,getting the feel forundulation and help with body position on the recovery. - I can't do butterflyso I'll concede to your experience here. I swim a lot of BR pull/dolphin kick with finsto work on undulation and timing without burning up my knees with BR kick. - Iffins can releve you of knee concerns and still give you a arm workout then Iagree that fins are useful here (as I mentioned previously my experience hasbeen just the opposite but that is because I have a lousy half *** stokehalf dolphin butterfly kick) Iagree, don't do BR kick with regular fins. I have never tried the BR fins,but Ihave had a couple of people say they finally got a sense of what BR kick wassupposed to feel like with them. - I never heard of BR fins until I read yourresponse, BR fins sounds like an oxymoron to me :).Watching a video on BR finsmade my knees hurt :). These fins can't give you the correct ankle movements andtoe movements necessary for the proper *** stoke kick.
Children
No Data